• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rattle reel line

alski

Yep only string i use on my tip-ups and rattle reels! The ones with the rubberized coating... dosen't freeze as easy, tangles less, and all sorts of colors to choose from! i preferably get the neon colors for the house as at night i keep a black light on so u can see the lines really well..

Never have problems gettting the fish to bite!

I use a swivel on all rattle reels, just like on lead core line, Palomar knot on both side of the swivel, 6-8ft of 6-8lb fluorocarbon leader. Works great and no need to ever re-tie the fly line to the swivel. That knot will hold for a life time. New leaders is all you will ever replace.

I use a swivel on all rattle reels, just like on lead core line, Palomar knot on both side of the swivel, 6-8ft of 6-8lb fluorocarbon leader. Works great and no need to ever re-tie the fly line to the swivel. That knot will hold for a life time. New leaders is all you will ever replace.

+1 nailed it!

Yep, that was perfect. I have rattle reels with fly line that are 10+ years old. The only reason to remove the swivel is if you want to switch the slip float. Get a few beers in you, put a couple people in the house, get two fish going at the same time(3 or 4 in my fantasy), and you will really come to appreciate the fly line. Zero tangles, try that with dacron!

fly line does work great. make sure the bobber opening are big enough to allow smooth slipping. i use a small slip shot sinker on top of the bobber as a bobber stop. i salvaged fly line off two rattle reels i built when i was 15, its almost 30 years old and still works great.

question:? when retying the leader to the swivel using the palomar knot do you loop over the entire rattle reel? i dont know how else you could without removing the swivel from the main line

Hmmmm...I've been using old-spool (er, old-school) dacron without any real (er, reel) problems for a long time. I just take my time pulling the fish up and lay the line out fairly evenly, then just put it back down the hole slowly. I don't catch enough fish to be in a hurry. smile

I can't honestly say weather it's sinking or floating.?. I see some for about $3.50 on the big E online auction. I've never seen it at a big box store, just tackle places. I bet the big boxes have closeouts on better stuff very cheap though, there's nothing special about it. There's not much difference between CHEAP floating and sinking fly line. Like someone else mentioned, cut the bead out of the stem of your slip floats. I use a small split shot as a marker so I can adjust it easily and it doesn't go thru the bigger stem hole. If you can't find it use vinyl tip up line, it works just as good.