• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Don't You Hate it When.....

DonBo

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when your in your stand with your 5 yr old - expecting not to see anything, just spending some time with your child....and coming down the trial is a nice 9 pt.

When it gets in range and your ready to do the "dance", your 5 year old points and says out loud -

"Daddy, I see a deer - and its a buck"....scamper, scamper, bound, bound, scamper!

you work rotating shifts and haven't been out to check your stands, much less been able to hunt yet and the closest you can get is to sit and read all these posts and wish for another "don't you hate it when" to happen to you because at least then you'd be out in the woods! grrr!

You are hunting public land opening morning and you get up way early you haul your stand on your back you get out there 2 hours before shooting hours to set up your stand and let things settle down take a small nap and wake up 20 mins before shooting hours and you see a light in the woods bouncing towards you and you pray it does not come any closer... As you notice he is heading straight for you, you start to shine your surefire at him just to let him know he might want to not set up right next to you. You even blink it and stand up and move it all around only to have him sit down next to a tree 30 yards from you and later when you scare him by throwing your hunting bag to the ground from your stand he goes oh I did not see you there.

You get to your tree and are ready to put up your stand only to find somehow that one of your climbing sticks fell off your backpack and now you can only put your stand about 8 feet off the ground.

You have to walk through tall swamp grass to get to your new hunting spot that you thought you knew how to get to. Take the wrong turn on a different trail and end up not knowing where you are in brush that goes passed your head.

You decide to call it a half day and on the way back to your truck you decide to take a pee so you find a nice tree and out of the swamp a doe comes crashing out and stops 15 yards away from you and you two have a staring contest as you finish peeing the thing wont look away from you so you decide to slowly reach for your gun only to have the doe run straight away from you not giving you a shot.

You are hunting public land opening morning and you get up way early you haul your stand on your back you get out there 2 hours before shooting hours to set up your stand and let things settle down take a small nap and wake up 20 mins before shooting hours and you see a light in the woods bouncing towards you and you pray it does not come any closer... As you notice he is heading straight for you, you start to shine your surefire at him just to let him know he might want to not set up right next to you. You even blink it and stand up and move it all around only to have him sit down next to a tree 30 yards from you and later when you scare him by throwing your hunting bag to the ground from your stand he goes oh I did not see you there.

I've had the same thing happen to me! Except mine was mid morning on gun opener and I had two guys walk by and set up about 50 yards on each side of me. One of the guys even waved to me as he walked by so I know he saw me. We saw them later standing by their truck and they all of a sudden couldnt speak a word of english.

...You are a first time bow hunter and your first hunt ever is ruined because the neighbors kid and a buddy decide trespassing 1/4 mile into the property to hunt squirrels is a good idea. When they are right below you and don't notice a WELL CONCEALED stand, you are about to tell them to leave and the DNR and their Pa will hear about this, you only get a "Hey..." before one of them is so surprised he clenches his gun tighter and"BANG! PING!!" right off the metal tubing edge of your platform. (thats the only time i actually soaked my shorts on stand)

...My Step dad goes for opening morning and has to pee off his stand. He thinks "all urine smells the same if theres no skin cells going with it. Deer wont notice". He comes back to the truck and says all 5 deer that came through didnt smell him, until they were within 3 feet of the spot he watered...FLAG TAILS AND ALARM SNORTS!!...hmm...no wonder I didn't see a single deer for 2 weeks after that...

...My "perfect" first gun opener in 2012 with "40f and 7mph wind (perfect direction)" turn into that for 5 minutes. Then it gets cloudy, REALLY cold, and then it snows. I wanted to stick it out and track deer after the snow finished. 2 feet of snow later, out comes a spike. I hadnt gotten a deer in over 3 years of bow hunting so I took a shot at 50yds with 3" rifled slugs in my smooth bore Benelli Nova 12. Missed by 3 feet to the front of the deer. He stood there spooked but looking like "Wth just jumped out of the ground there?" So I racked and shot 3 more at him, missed all of them. Then he ran a path within 20yds and I shot again. Yup, missed. When dad to pick me up since I spooked every deer in Wright County, he stopped at the truck and said to load my gun quietly and turn around, there was a doe 30yds away. I shot, missed, it did what the spike did just waiting to know what went bang, dad grabbed the gun and put two rounds into the dirt way off his mark. Needless to say, I am getting a rifled barrel and he bought a muzzleloader.

...When I have college this season 2hrs from my hunting grounds!! :'(

...the traffic to get up north the Friday night before firearms. Pulling up behind the yutz with his camper doing 40 miles an hour right when the road gets curvy and you can't pass.

...early season walking out of heavy cover to an open field to realize you dont have an arrow knocked and a doe and two fawns staring at you at 20 yards.

...getting gear packed up to scout a week before season (during midday) specifically thinking "should i take my bow? Nah, I wont see anything during midday". Then walking down a open road and having a beautiful chocolate antlered buck spot you then challenge you and finally walk to within ten yards and put his head down below the grass line to feed.....

...you shoot a buck on the ground he lays down to die, you wait 45 minutes and have a hunyuck on his wheeler pull up *before atv driving hours* and says "I have to get my stand to be home by 1:30" and kicks your previously dying deer up.

...you hunt bear opening morning and THEN go to pull your memory card - check it back at camp to find out 12 hours before you were in the stand, there were two cubs in it.