• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Don't You Hate it When.....

DonBo

It's your first ever bowhunt (12 years old) and dad takes you out and puts you in a tree on opening morning and goes to his own stand. No bug spray (don't want the deer to smell you) and you feel like every mosquito in the 5 state area has found you in this tree. You have to tough it out though and show dad you are not a wimp. After an hour you realize that not one square inch of your body is without a mosquito bite and you can't quit moving.

Dejectedly you climb down out of the tree and walk back to the car only to find your dad already sitting in the car and he looks at you and says, "How could you stand all the @#$% mosquitoes!?!?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty soon here comes a guy. Ask him what he is doing and he says just checking to see if anyone hunts here and do some scouting. AT FIRST LIGHT ON OPENING MORNING OF RIFLE SEASON??????

I think this happens a lot, had a relative actually build a stand opening morning rifle season one year, I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled!!! grin

Archerystud

That is some funny stuff right there!

...you've driven many miles, walked a good distance into your stand, climbed up and settled in with all the necessities. Things have quieted down and your intensely listening for those first tell-tale sounds...and you now realize you've got a large turtle poking it's head out the back porch door! blush

...you're pitching your favorite musky bait right into an area where you earlier raised a nice fish, and on your second cast you watch in horror as the $17.50 magic lure flies gracefully, free from your broken line, high into the trees on the nearby shoreline. cry

it is just before rifle season, you only have a few days to bowhunt this week, the day arives, weather is perfect, wind is perfect. You just know that you will see lots of deer tonight. just as you are about to leave. Your wife says she is sick needs to be in bed, and you have to be around town to run kids to all thier activities, which of cours is late afternoon - prime time.

this happened to my son-inlaw last season. didn't have to do his morning ritual as usual one morning. got on his stand and about a half hour went by and it was toilet paper time. walked away from his stand aways [leaving his rifle by the stand] and commenced the deed. well sure enough a doe comes out and looks at him with his pants down. still talks about that and we dont let him forget it laugh. good luck.

When your hung over brother decides to hunt where you're hunting and arrives right at sunrise and doesn't see your blaze orange in the tree!

You have a buck walking right to you but not in range when somebody behind you in the woods decides to unload his gun at a running deer!

When its still dark in the morning waiting for shooting time and you hear something walking right to your tree stand and stops, so you grab your flashlight to see if it's bigfoot or my brother, and to see it's a doe looking at you and her fawns!

Dejectedly you climb down out of the tree and walk back to the car only to find your dad already sitting in the car and he looks at you and says, "How could you stand all the @#$% mosquitoes!?!?

I've been reading them all, but this one made me laugh out loud. Absolutely hilarious. grin I'm still laughing while I write this.

...you realize that you've done most of these dumb things at least once and some of them TWICE.

...you hit the can call on the large grey square walking across the picked bean field, watch it stop mid-call and make a beeline for your stand, check your watch to make sure it's legal shooting time (it is--just barely), turn on the light for your sight, clip in, pull back when you see the four points on his left side are mostly outside of his ear, realize you can't see your top pin because the peep sight is twisted while the buck of a lifetime is 9 yards below, and watch him walk away just as quickly as he came in.

...later, on the ride home, you call your brother-in-law to share your heartache and heartbreak over the Close Encounter of the Worst Kind and he says, "WHAT?!? I'd have let 'er fly, man...REALLY, you didn't...Click.

...the one weekend you have to work coincides with Halloween and 40 guys on the forum write in to tell you how they all "nailed the biggest buck of their lifetime" after seeing more deer than they've ever seen in a lifetime.

...Scoot is ten yards from a moose in a corn field that he can't see (but he can smell him) during a Once-in-a-Lifetime hunt and he writes: "Stay tuned for the rest of the story tomorrow..." and driving to North Dakota to wring his neck is not an option. grin

...the season ends.

...Scoot is ten yards from a moose in a corn field that he can't see (but he can smell him) during a Once-in-a-Lifetime hunt and he writes: "Stay tuned for the rest of the story tomorrow..." and driving to North Dakota to wring his neck is not an option. grin

...the season ends.

+1 shocked

Its late sept. daughter has her bear, hunting mine an decided not to hunt last friday, guesse wat showed up for a crossbow party with no crossbow there. Yea I have a spot on my that says, Smash head here.

...you get all settled in the bow stand & sit comfortably enjoying the evening for a half hour or so & then happen to look down at the floor of the stand beside your foot & see the release you never bothered to strap on

...(someone else said similar to this before) but you get out of the truck to walk to the stand on bow opener & realize your release is laying on the work bench at home 25 miles away & you'd just spent the night in the hunting shack & had all kinds of time to realize it before now

...you finally sweat your way up the climber on a really cold morning when you didn't get going soon enough & wore too many clothes walking in & go to pull your bow up & watch the clip come unhooked from the bow, so now go down & back up the tree in record time with your body temp now in the low 200's, 1/2 sweat 1/2 anger

...you hit the grunt call to try to call in a deer you got a glimpse of in front of you in the brush & then look to your right & see a doe & two fawns staring right at you wide open in easy range, also happened calling to two 300 yards out & a doe was standing 15 yards away

...you pull up your rifle to shoot at a nice buck at first light & the gun won't go off, just as you realize the slide didn't go all the way forward on your automatic, your cousin lets off a hail mary shot at the buck scaring it away

...you're waiting for a nice buck to come closer, he's in range but coming over the ridge to pick you up is your buddy in the pickup, he sees the buck & honks at you, fortunately your snap shot at the PREVIOUSLY walking buck breaks a hind leg & you eventually are able to drop him as he tries to limp away

...you drop one of your gloves from your climber on a cold morning right after you get settled & when you go to get the extra pair of gloves from your backpack you "always" carry, you remember you wore them when your other ones got wet & you left them in your other hunting coat

...you've been sitting patiently in the blind for hours, wet, and cold. Finally you see a group of birds approaching. They're cupped up and committed. You click the safety to off and begin to raise your gun. As you unconsciously shoulder the weapon for the shot, a strong gust of wind whips a tuft of marsh grass into your face which conveniently slaps your OPEN eyes. By the time you wipe away the tears, and refocus, the birds have magically vanished.

...you're certain you hit that walking deer far enough forward, only to find, once you begin field dressing, that it's pretty badly gut shot. I didn't get the name Old Gutshot Sam for nothin'! frown