• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bearing help

Iambjm

So I blew the wheel bearing in my boat trailer, I have changed them before and have watched numerous videos on the subject. Put in new races, bearings, put the hub back on, the castle nut got all finished and went to put the dust cap on and it was too loose? What could I have done wrong?

Is it that the cap is just too small to fit in the hub or you can not get the cap pushed in far enough to be tight. I am thinking the races may not be seated all the way into the hub causing the castle nut being out further on the shaft and not letting the cap to be put on all the way.

How hard was it to remove? New cap? If so is it the correct size?

I'd say highlife's answer is probably more likely, but just to throw it out there, could you have overheated the hub that much that it deformed the cap or seat?

When the bearing went it blew my bearing buddy clear off, it did this 2 years ago too. Now the bearing buddy (brand new and it is the right size) is too loose to stay on. When I put them on they were really tight.

That sounds like either A.) the bearing buddy you have was manufactured too small (do you happen to have another cap you could try?) or B.) The hub overheated and caused the cap seat to expand. Either get a new hub or you could try taking a center punch (make sure it has a nice sharp point on it) and go around the inside of the seat punching a dozen or so dimples evenly around it. But on second thought, if it's so loose that the cap falls right off it may or may not work.

I've got a boat trailer with a similar issue that I don't use nearly enough to justify replacing the hub. I made a cage out of wire and used a hose clamp to clamp on the hub to hold it in place. Hasn't fallen off yet in 10+ years.

Do yourself a favor, and to make it easy, is go online or to northern tool and they carry a hub/bearing assembly with a grease zerk built in so you don't need to mess with those cruddy bearing buddies. I even bought a back-up set in case I have a problem while out and about. I can change and be back on the road in 10-15 minutes. The nice thing is you get all new hub with a built in greasing system so it isn't an add on part.