• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

nils power auger

alski

Rock solid quality built auger that cuts fast and will last a lifetime. The only 2 dings I can give it is the slush it leaves in the hole and the non user friendly blade cover.

The slush is a pain in the rear, but on the plus side you get a longer shaft and a hand auger too.

Best hand auger hands down. Bought the power 8" to compliment my arsenal and love it. Fast and light. Only problem i've had is reopening holes. I bought on the previous postings that it worked fine but have had issues of it opening them back up. Even after blade change, and sharpening from Frank. Need a different solution for the wheel house.

Having used both extensively now, I prefer the new Strikemaster over the Nils.

The speed is basically identical, weight is close too so for me it comes down to small things such as blade availability, and that dog gone slush.

I used a Lazer Mag for several years and was ready to switch to a Jiffy propane last year. Just before I pulled the pin and bought one, I did a little research (mainly here) and boy am I glad that I did!!! I cannot say enough good things about my Nils! Light, cuts like a hot knife, etc, etc. I run Amsoil 80:1 and it seems to run better every time I use it! The easy conversion to a hand auger is nice for early ice as well.

As previously noted, the biggest downside is in the cover. I am experimenting with aftermarket covers and magnets but still haven't found a solution I am completely happy with yet.

As previously noted, the biggest downside is in the cover. I am experimenting with aftermarket covers and magnets but still haven't found a solution I am completely happy with yet.

same here, I ended up getting a set of the cover magnets at the ice show last year, there was a guy selling them for covers for other brands, he didn't have a Nils set per se but he and I went to the Nils booth and figured out which ones would work best, I can't remember which set it was for but it was the set with some play in the magnet housing. Worked perfect all season, the cover just snaps directly onto the blade. Held better than I thought too. I think he said he would have a set labeled specifically for Nils this year. Oh yeah, the Nils itself has worked great as well. Had the buddy who made fun of the price but after a few weeks he started using my Nils each time we were out, he of course would say it was because the Nils was warmed up.

Can,t go wrong! I have no problem with slush. Open throttle run up and down hole a couple times. No skimmer needed when jigging. i picked up a second one in the off season to sell and help out with gas money.

I love my Nils. Im 6'6" and the added length of the Nils saves on my back big time. I have never needed a extension with the longer shaft. They do make a shorter shaft as well for those not as tall. Light, Fast and great on gas.

Blade sharpening is just as easy as sending it to Frank Deluka AKA Surface Tension. He does awesome work and fast. The blades come back sharper than new.

Had the buddy who made fun of the price but after a few weeks he started using my Nils each time we were out, he of course would say it was because the Nils was warmed up.

That's hillarious... and it isn't just your buddy that uses that line!

Does anyone happen to know where you can purchase the shorter shaft?

I love my Solo Lazer Pro. But I may drill up to 20-60 holes per outing. That makes me sure wish I had the Nils... wink Some will say its similar weight or the small weight makes no difference to the Solo. I will tell you 3lb-4lb weight difference is a very BIG DEAL especially when you run & gun alot! As for the extra slush, thats what them scoopers are for. As for reliability besides getting the blades sharpen once in a blue moon you may never ever have to send the powerhead in for service. Now that's customer service right there.

I used the Nils for about 3 years and was very happy with it performance. The cutting head cover was about worthless but I added a bungee straps and it did work better.

Cut great and Frank DeLuca did a great job on sharpening them for me right here in Mn and the turn around time is the best.

2 years ago I went with a Strikemaster Solo and it is all that the Nils is and one can get warranty right here locally. Cutting head cover is much better than the Nils and there is no comparison in how clean the hole is using a Solo versus the Nils.

As fas as cutting speed, I honestly believe my Solo is faster and weight is about the same for the 2.

If I were to buy one tomorrow, it would be the Solo. But, if I had to get a Nils, that would also work fine.

Most here know I promoted the Nils about as hard as one could until I got a Solo.

Nils is an awesome auger, it's light and cuts like a mean machine.

The best thing to do about a cover is just get the Otter Auger Shield, just slide it in there when your done and never deal with a cover ever, even has a nice handle to make carrying it a breeze. The black cover soaks up the sunrays so it keeps your blades clean also.

There's a complete package for sale right here on this site in the classifieds that has it all, I can't believe it hasn't sold yet. I actually have fished with the guy that is selling it and it's a great deal.

DTRO nailed it. I am a very happy nills owner. Cuts like a dream.. There is a design flaw in the cover. I can live with the slush.. matter of fact when fishing shallow gills, I like the slush... If anyone designs a better after market cover.. I will be all over it!
The strikmaster 8" works great.

I tell ya what, when I had the Nils I has the same opinion that the slush wasn't that big of deal, then the more and more I hole hopped the more it bothered me. Sometimes the slush would be enough that you couldn't even get the transducer through it.

The Nils is a GREAT auger, but I can say this, with anything over 12" of ice you will not be able to get by without going back around to all the holes with a scooper. Big deal? No. Annoying and a PITA? Yes.

SM has also narrowed or even closed the gap on speed and the difference either way now is negligible.

Here's a mod I did to the Nils cover that worked great....until Frank had to sharpen the blade and had issues with magnetic shavings. grin

I have used both brands often, both are nice augers

Nils Doesn't say made in china, best drill head made, lightest, the motor is proven to last many many years. No plastic handles, hardened steel drill head, Comes with the worlds best hand auger at no charge. blades stay sharp for years and thousands of holes.

Solo fast and fairly light. Easy to find replacement blades. leaves a pretty clean hole. Soft steel blades need fairly often replacement. Bad batches of blades are still around.

I am not a prostaff for either company like some of the other posters.

Prostaff guys who didn't pay for there own auger let everyone know you are plugging for a company that gave you free stuff.

I like what tonkapat had to say. I'm another guy that buys all his own gear. One thing that I would like to mention is that the greatest customer service of all is that which is not needed. With that being said, I'm another happy Nils owner.

Say it aint so, there's prostaff guys on this site? Try some of the other catagories on here, that's all that answers. Not all are bad, but if you don't buy your stuff, I'm not looking for a paid advertisment.

I have used both brands often, both are nice augers

Nils Doesn't say made in china, best drill head made, lightest, the motor is proven to last many many years. No plastic handles, hardened steel drill head, Comes with the worlds best hand auger at no charge. blades stay sharp for years and thousands of holes.

Solo fast and fairly light. Easy to find replacement blades. leaves a pretty clean hole. Soft steel blades need fairly often replacement. Bad batches of blades are still around.

I am not a prostaff for either company like some of the other posters.

Prostaff guys who didn't pay for there own auger let everyone know you are plugging for a company that gave you free stuff.

I used the same blades on my Solo for 2 years with no cutting issues at all. I do fish alot but do not drill alot of holes on the sandy Upper red Lake ice.

I was a Pro Staff for numerous different open water and Ice fishing product companies and when I say the product is of quality, then it is as that is the expierence I have truely had.

I know many of the staff here on HSO and I would vouch for thier word any day of the year in regards to a honest product evaluation. I am not going to name names but the ones I know well, are very honest people.