• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duck recipes

Got some marinating in 1/2 cup red wine, couple TBS of Worsheshire and Soy sauce, about a TBS of Brown Sugar, 2 bay leaves, salt, black peppercorns, and some lemon zest. Gonna wrap them in bacon and grill till the bacon is done. Hoping for the best since I just threw it together last night, I'll let you know tomorrow how they turn out.

If it is a duck worth the time (a mallard or two with not too many pinfeathers), I love to pluck and wax, then roast after a brush of butter and seasoned with salt and pepper. Very simple prep...I love the taste of duck.

If it is something I have breasted, they get a soak in salt water overnight, then dried with a paper towel and rubbed down in olive oil and BBQ dry rub for a quick trip to the charcoal. Cook until JUST barely done and eat hot. Yum.

My favorite is set the grill up for indirect heat, Pluck and wax ducks. Salt and pepper inside and out. Stuff bird with onion, carrot and celery. Drape 2-3 slices of bacon over the bird breast up. Keep grill between 350-400 degrees. Add some hickory or apple wood to the charcoals. Cook indirect heating. Teal take about 2-3 hours, woodies 3-4 hours and bigger ducks about 4-5 hours.

I love the grill for ducks. Indirect hear as previously mentioned. I like to split the birds down the back and along the breast keel. They cook more evenly. You don't need to do much. Brush with a sweet/salty base. Do not overcook for that is the duck' downfall. Keep them well away from the flame and heat as duck grease is most toothsome but will flash into flame in an instant and leave your duck coated with a sooty, obnoxious residue.

My favorite duck recipe is as follows:

3-4 ducks breasted out if larger ones, or more like 7-8 if teal sized.

Prepare 1-2 cups (before adding water to cook) of salted wild rice

In another large skillet:

Melt 1 stick butter

add 1/3 cup brandy and 1/3 cup cooking sherry (I sometimes use 1/2 and 1/2 cup instead)

add 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce

add 1 1/2 tablespoons grape jelly

Stir to dissolve all the items, and then bring to a simmer. Add the duck breasts and bring to a simmer again. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn over and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Take out duck breasts and slice into small pieces...(helps find the shot) and put on a platter with the wild rice and mix them together.

Make a gravy out of the remaining liquids with corn starch and water. Pour the gravy over the duck and rice and enjoy!!!

My wife and son absolutely love this dish! Make some garlic bread and really have a good meal!

Tried this one to great success last night and it was delicious...

I breasted them out, cut the meat off the legs and anywhere else I could, and put them in salt water for 15 minutes.

I cut them into bite size pieces, dipped them in a mixture of A1 Steak Sauce and Worcestshire Sauce, and then breaded them with flour, pepper, and garlic salt, and fried em up.

Simple and delicious.