• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pulling a portable...

Stick in Mud

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a new two-man portable, and I really like most of the newer models out there (spent some time today checking them out at the Thorne Bros. event). Definitely some nice options out there.

I do NOT have a snowmobile, so I'll be pulling it by hand. I really like the larger, insulated models, but at over 100 lbs. (and up to 135 lbs) I'm nervous that I won't be able to pull it if there's any snow/slush out there.

So, some questions: With auger, propane tank, heater, bait, rods, etc., is it possible to pull this things by hand for any distance? If not, is there anything I can do to make one of them pull more easily?

Carmike

Unless we have more years like last year, you will not be happy pulling the big insulated 2 mans. Heck when there is a bit of snow even the lightest 1 mans can get a big heavy with gear, etc.

There is no magic formula other than eating your Wheaties.

We have a 2 man otter with downhill skis bolted on the bottom. Fully loaded it pulls with ease through snow or anything. Find a pair of used skis, doesn't matter what they are. A lot less surface area to drag through the snow, and if you really wanted to you could wax them but we don't.

Unless you are on virtually bare ice, two man flip style houses are too big to pull for most humans. Frankly flip style one man houses are usually too heavy. But weight isn't the only factor...sled width is a big part of the work formula. Flip shacks are too wide to pull easily in snow. I do near all my fishing in the bwca...the forested shores won't let the wind blow the snow off the lakes and no snowmobiles are packing down a trail. My rig is a 9 foot, narrow mylar toboggan, light chair, small cooler with my flasher and tackle in it, rods, buddy heater with a couple 1 pound propanes, six inch hand auger, and my 11 pound, HT Enterprises Polar ice tent. The tent is a bear to set up in the wind, but I can stand up in it, fish two holes, and even have a guest. I don't think they make that tent anymore, but some of the hub houses will suffice. Not a real mobile set up, but I can get a ways into the woods with it.

Eat your wheaties and pull em out. I do it every year, I figure it keeps me young and justifies the junk food I eat in the fish house.

I like having the extra room for gear and the ability to bring along a friend.

Like dtro mentioned, unless we have more winters like last year, you will be able to drive your truck to a lot of places, even if you don't have an ATV or snowmobile.

I'd say get a clam guide. This is great for towing with a harness.

I use a lifejacket with quick release hooks and it works fine.

I've put hyfax on it and you can tow on ice fine with good cleats on your boots.

In snow you won't be able to go far so find a spot close to where you park because it's a rough go towing your gear loaded rig. Anyways clam lighter weight rigs but in snow you may want to build a sled that your rig sits on with 2x4s plywood and old skis look around the forums for these.

My clam was originally a fish trap 2 that I bought a Yukon tarp and redid the poles on it.

I also painted it with plastidip rubberized paint and added quick release boat seats to the benches.

Last year I also added skis to the tub so it would get through snow better but I have a snowmobile to tow with. This year am running an otter sled to hold all the gear and make setup faster.

After walking out setting up loading and unloading you will be tired if there's any snow you'll really want to find a close to shore spot it is a lot of work.

I pulled my Voyager many years before I had a snowmoblie. I put a longer rope on it looped it over my head under my armpits leaned forward and went.A good pair of boots,spikes for no snow conditions and go. Age or a physical limitation aside I don't see why this is a big deal. I wanted the Voyager and I wanted to fish so I did.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I really like the idea of bolting some old skis on the bottom of the sled...has anyone else tried this? Seems like a great idea. smile

I've fished out of tiny, cramped flipovers for too long...it's time to upgrade. I was out on the Horseshoe Chain last year catching kitties on a super windy night...had to leave the house for a #1, flipped it up, wind caught it and ripped the seams up the side at least 3 feet. That, and the near-see-through fabric, and the hole in the tub from being pulled for over a decade (almost two, I think) on the bit of gravel/asphalt between the truck and the lake, mean it's time for a new one. And I don't want a cramped one anymore. smile

Eat your wheaties and pull em out. I do it every year, I figure it keeps me young and justifies the junk food I eat in the fish house.

I like having the extra room for gear and the ability to bring along a friend.

Like dtro mentioned, unless we have more winters like last year, you will be able to drive your truck to a lot of places, even if you don't have an ATV or snowmobile.

Keeps you young, huh? I helped pull a friend's big Otter flipover all around Bay Lake up by Garrison last year, and I felt like dying. smile

Thanks for the responses, guys. I really like the idea of bolting some old skis on the bottom of the sled...has anyone else tried this? Seems like a great idea. smile

I've fished out of tiny, cramped flipovers for too long...it's time to upgrade. I was out on the Horseshoe Chain last year catching kitties on a super windy night...had to leave the house for a #1, flipped it up, wind caught it and ripped the seams up the side at least 3 feet. That, and the near-see-through fabric, and the hole in the tub from being pulled for over a decade (almost two, I think) on the bit of gravel/asphalt between the truck and the lake, mean it's time for a new one. And I don't want a cramped one anymore. smile

full-35430-24632-full_35430_24390_sled.j

Unless you are on virtually bare ice, two man flip style houses are too big to pull for most humans. Frankly flip style one man houses are usually too heavy. But weight isn't the only factor...sled width is a big part of the work formula. Flip shacks are too wide to pull easily in snow. I do near all my fishing in the bwca...the forested shores won't let the wind blow the snow off the lakes and no snowmobiles are packing down a trail. My rig is a 9 foot, narrow mylar toboggan, light chair, small cooler with my flasher and tackle in it, rods, buddy heater with a couple 1 pound propanes, six inch hand auger, and my 11 pound, HT Enterprises Polar ice tent. The tent is a bear to set up in the wind, but I can stand up in it, fish two holes, and even have a guest. I don't think they make that tent anymore, but some of the hub houses will suffice. Not a real mobile set up, but I can get a ways into the woods with it.

Yep, exactly. I think if a guy is planning on walking/pulling often, a hub style house with a light narrow sled or something on skis is the way to go. Using 5 gallon buckets for seats will also make things easier.

I honestly don't think that adding skis to a 100lb 2 man flipover is going to help much if there is anything more than a few inches of snow.

How about raising a couple of Huskies? or heck to be a little different how bout a Donkey?

Ok, maybe I should just eat some Wheaties.

There are some lighter models, of course, but they're not all that much bigger than the one I've been using. And after spending time today sitting in houses with 24+ square feet of fishing area, the more I'm willing to go buy some cereal. smile

Short of hitting the roids or meth, I personally do not see the big flip overs as much as an option for the non motorized hoofers.......well unless your believer in global warming, 20, Bruce Jenner, or da chise. My portable weighs 15 lbs and bet am still packing 70 to 80...... a minnow bucket alone with a little over a gallon of water adds 10 lbs. Like Dtro said, look into a hub, or some other mode of transportation.

I had an older Fish Trap 2-man that I pulled by hand for years. It was the original fabric and not tall enough to stand up straight in. It served me well but I didn't like standing hunched over. Last year I upgraded to the Jason Mitchell thermal X and quickly learned that pulling it for any distance was a lot of work and if hills are involved, forget about it! I bought a used ATV within a month to pull it! Now I am shopping for a light weight hub for those time when I fish non-motorized reservoirs.

I have an Otter that I have had for around 3 or 4 years. Empty it weighs in at 75lbs. When outfitted with all my gear (Rods, tackle, bait, gas auger, snacks, ect.) and my son riding along, it weighs in at closer to 150lbs and I pull it out every time I go out. As he gets older it gets harder to pull, but has never really been a problem. I typically go 200 plus yards from shore. If I go out more than 500 yards I typically try to drive my truck out. If it is nice out, I leave the portable at home and opt for my hand auger and my clam fishing chair ( the one that holds all your gear).

I agree with DTro,weight is a vey big factor if you walk out.I watch guys huff and puff thier way out every winter.When I fish alone I'm in a one man and I keep that as light as possible. The bigger the shack the more you take.The first thing I do when I get a new shack is take as much weight off as I can.Then modify it to fit my needs still trying to keep

the weight as low as I can.Got a Otter Wild Cabin yesterday,won it at the Thorne Bro. Modification,great people at Thorne Bro.. Anyway my point is the first thing I did when I got it home was take out the 30# bench seat.When I get done it should weight about the same as a Fish Trap Pro. with the seat in.It is a 2 person shack so 2 will be pulling it.

My dad has a Clam Yukon and before I had my own one man, I often pulled his ice house all over the lake. Granted I am 19 years old, it is still do able. Try and pack light and it will make it much easier on yourself when hauling the porty across the lake. Ice with no snow on it is the absolute best solution due to the ease of pulling (the use of ice spikes are highly, highly recommended).

Good grief, carmike et al., are you pulling out to Garden Island or what?!? Maybe it's just me, but most of the time I won't pull more than a mile out. If that's not mobile enough for you at first ice, pony up and buy a sled.

Generally speaking, in an average year, you are pulling out for 2-4 weeks and driving a truck the remainder of the year. No truck? Then by all means, buy a small one man or a hub.

I guess I'm nuts for pulling a big house out, but I've done it, I've felt nearly dead and out of breath, but that hasn't stopped me from doing it again.