• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter is coming.

MN Shutterbug

I refilled my hummer feeder last evening and a female showed up and drank to her heart's content. I haven't seen 1 yet today and I fear they may have headed south. I got an email from my cousin from north of Appleton and she saw her first Junco of the season. A half hour later a Junco appears on my bird bath. Juncos is this area are a sure sign of winter. frown

Miss Hummer just showed up. smile

I would have thought Juncos were common year round up there. I haven't seen another one since. But, even after this morning cold snap, my hummingbird showed up again. She's a tough old broad. Grackles have also reappeared. This is the first time since I've lived here, (third year), that I've had any grackles in my yard this time of the year. I also had a new record for Blue Jays this morning with a tally of 6 in my back yard.

She's back. I just looked out the window and there was a female hummer. Oddly though, she sampled the flowers on my Honeysuckle vine but completely ignored the sugar water. Might not be the same one that I'd had around here for quite awhile. Anyway, I'd better keep the feeder from getting dry. With this warm weather coming, she may bring back her friends and stick around for awhile. smile

Kewl! Keeping my fingers crossed that they reappear for a day or two. Last one I saw was on the 21st. Still lots of 4 o'clocks and salvia blooming yet, even a morning glory or two and some impatiens I see. With the warm temps, I just might want to water some of the stuff upon hearing your news. smile

The goldies stay all winter, they just loose the color. Lots here today as usuall. Had a lot of purple finches going thru today. few males and lots of females. Fox sparrows, tan fazed whitethroats and lottsa juncos starting to shoe up. Had 2 piliated on a tree together yesturday and just missed the pic. D'oh.

Wow. I am surprised just seeing a goldfinch now. Lots of juncos and bluejays.

I was pretty surprised too when I saw her. I even had Grackles in my yard a couple days ago. Other than that, same as you plus a few House Finches, a couple White-crowned Sparrows, Chickadees and my Red-breasted Nuthatch returned.

Yowee, my back yard just turned black with an invasion of Grackles. This is the 1st fall in the 3rd year I've been here that I've had any Grackles at all in my yard.

I have been seeing a few grackles and a few RWBBs, too. Lots of robins, mourning doves, starlings, HOSPs, chickadees, downys, house finches, and juncos. I had a flicker and a few white thoats the other day.

I looked back through my last couple winter's daily birding journal. I know that some goldies over-winter this far north, but I have only seen two goldies during the past two winter seasons. They do not lose all of their color, but they do turn more drab. Even if I couldn't see them I would be able to identify their recognizable song and flight! For whatever reason, they stay away from my yard during the winter.