• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gobblers roosting

Pigmeat

This time of year are the gobblers roosting in bachelor flocks or in mixed groups with hens and poults? Also, any thoughts on calling gobblers off the roost? The group I'm patterning seems to drop away from me into a ravine on private land.

toms almost always hang out and roost in gobbler flocks in the fall.

if they consistently go the other way when they come off the roost, maybe you are setting up too close to the roost trees? i try to stay back 50 yards or so from the roost and let them drop down before calling in the fall.

however, if they keep going into the neighbors, i'd try a couple of gobbler clucks right before flydown. use a pot call - glass, crystal or slate - with a hardwood striker and make a soft cluck or two in the center of the call.

if that doesnt get them to head in your direction, after they hit the ground, try some gobbler yelps, working in the center of the call.

another thing to try would be fighting purrs. turkeys always are working on dominance and establishing the pecking order and hearing other "turkeys" making a ruckus in their woods might get them to come over and take a look.

good luck. 9 more days 'til i'm out there chasing the toms with my bow. grin

Yeah, it's tough when they fly onto neighboring property. Walli's advice was good and is certainly worth a shot. If they roost on your property, set up there in the evening and catch them coming in to roost.

Essentially what happened to me last night. Went on the look for the bachelor group of 6 toms I've been seeing this time of year for 2-3 years. Found them, but couldn't get close enough. Took about 45 minutes to sneak around where they were going & shot this one.

full-5070-25164-fallturkeyspurs2.jpg

full-5070-25165-fallturkeyfanned4.jpg

Old bird, 12" beard, 1" spurs, seemed big, but only weighed 17.2 lbs.

Thanks, definitely would have shot whatever, but I knew about this group, so I decided to target them the first time out anyway. I have a hen & 3 poults at home that I'm saving for my less than avid 14 year-old. I'm hoping he can tip over one of the young ones. Pretty sure I could go get one of those most anytime myself. I'll let him shoot the hen if that's the only shot we get, but hoping to leave her to remain resident on my property. She's the first one that's ever moved in to stay.