• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

slugs?

jay83196

Looking for some recommendations for 12ga slugs for rifled barrel slug gun. I'm not looking for best value or price, I want to get a few of the best performers out there shoot them and use what ever seems to shoot best through gun. I plan to use it this fall on deer and maybe next season on bear.

Thanks

I use Hornady SST's, almost exclusively and really like them, they top the Winchester Partition gold's only because of price, Partition Golds can run 3-4 dollars more. You can often find SST's for $10 a box. I bought a used slug barrel and scope combo for my deer gun and the previous owner said its dialed in for Remington accutips, so I will try them this year and see how it goes. The only reason I had to buy a different one was because I sold mine to my brother in law. He should be able to shoot SST's without any problem with his set up. Every gun seems to like some shells better than others. I also would not mind checking out the Lightfields, and the federals. I would buy one box of each and see how it goes in your gun. Its spendy at first, but once you find the right shell, you will be money for years to come.

I prefer the Remington buckhammers. They throw alot of lead out, easily pick deer off at 150 yds. Deer do not run far after getting hit by one of these. 8 bucks a box usually at gander. I used to shoot the copper solids but they are to much money for my liking, so tried the buckhammers and I really am impressed with them.

I changed to rifled slugs from Remington (Slugger) last year. I know you said for a rifled slug barrel but you can use rifled slugs as well. I didn't believe that myself until I tried it and had great results. Give it a try you may be as shocked as I was.

Not to totally disagree with lund guy, but there is rifling in the barrel for a reason. Most will agree that shooting a rifled slug in a rifled barrel, can foul up or even reck the rifling in the barrel. I'm not telling you not to do it, I just think you should know the risks.

I have some lightfield commander plus slugs and on paper awesome round 1700 fps 600 grains, 73 caliber 3800 ft# energy ( just awesome) but was not impressed I shot bear with it two years ago little forward than I like, he moved leg back as I shot but just behind or into leg bone a little and no blood or no animal found. I video taped it and must have watched it 20 times and should been easy kill shot even if hit the bone a little forward in leg couldn't believe it bear yelled and ran off should have no leg and part of heart gone....was a sad day.

All guns will shoot differently, what brand and type your gun prefers can only be found by trying several brands out and letting your gun tell you.... Mine prefers Federal Barnes Expanders 3" or the original Brenekee 2 3/4" rifled slug, same slug my backup smoothbore likes....