• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ground Hunting for Deer?

wdgold

I do and I have never had better hunting. Granted location is everything and I have a very sweet spot. a fairly narrow finger of woods surrounded by corn and beans. One long side is covered in tall grass due to the fact that the power lines run down it. I found where the deer where coming and going, set myself back about 4 feet into the grass edge. I go out with a folding chair and a trigger stick.

90% of my deer are shot from the ground during muzzleloading. Tracking, still hunting, while driving deer and sitting on ground in natural cover. Back when we did hunt rifle season hard it was about 50% stand 50% shot when I was on the ground. Personally I would only do it during rifle now on private land or public with few hunters around.

Nothing like eyeball to eyeball encounters.

Try it pre season to see if you like the dynamic and develop your skill set.

lakevet

As long as you're sure behind the target and your lead will stop on "YOUR" property not a big deal at all, my dads top 3 bucks he ever shot were happening upon a fresh groundscrape during season realizing it wasn't made by a young buck, and remembering how to get there early the next morning, he's no gps guy.

My bonus tag was filled last year ground hunting during firearms season.

I was on the side of a hill in a river valley, so I had some elevation and helped me feel safe about where my bullet would stop.

I plan on doing about 20% of my hunting this year with my feet on the ground.

I do some every year. In hilly country with a firearm there are many places that I think a treestand actually limits you. I've shot a few from the ground with bow too, when there wasn't a suitable tree anyway in the right place for the wind, but there was suitable cover to hide on the ground.

Archery hunting I do not like ground blinds as one cannot see as well as in the stand.

Gun hunting I use an enclosed box as it is so comfy.

I have used a ground blind for gun hunting in open areas as long as I know noone is taking pot shots at deer in the field I am in on the ground. There have been times when the best for me in an area was a ground blind.

As with any other stand, ground blinds do have there place for sure.

I occasionally hunt from the ground but have yet to shoot one while walking. Not that I haven't had my chances though. My failures were mainly due to my not taking enough time to survey what was going on around me before moving and giving myself away. I was talking deer hunting with a friend from work a few years ago and told him that I have shot all my deer out of trees. He replies "Really? All of our deer were on the ground..." Funny guy. wink

my favorit way to hunt deeer when I was younger was stillhunting . I still do it but not as much up here as there are some thick areas. I shot a 10 pointer with a shotgun still hunting I shot a ten ponter with a 30 30 still hunting, I have had many shots with a bow from the ground while still hunting. When I'm sitting in a stand I aways want to know whats over theer if im hunting any new section of woods

The majority of deer I've harvested with a rifle were taken while I was on the ground.

The deer I've taken with a bow and arrow, were all shot from a tree stand.

And it's about even tree stand vs. ground blind (or still hunting) with muzzle-loader.

It's probably just my luck, but it seems like every time I get into a tree stand while hunting with a rifle, the deer just aren't moving, so I get down and go after em' by still hunting. I really prefer this method of hunting anyway. I find it way more exciting and intense.

To add to that, there just aren't any trees in North Dakota to put a tree stand in! wink

I love still hunting! I had a buck and two does come within 50 yards on Tuesday while still hunting. I spotted the buck coming about 100 yards out. I slowly ducked behind a tree and squatted. It seemed like forever for him to get close enough that I could see him again. Then suddenly a doe appears and is feeding 50 yards in front of me and facing me. My legs were so tired from squatting I tried to stand up. Unfortunately the tree I was behind wasn't big enough to cover me completely and she spotted me as I stood. She gave a slow step over and head bob. I knew it was over. Then she blew and they were all gone. My heart was pounding through my chest.

The whole key is to use your binoculars every time a new view opens up and see them before they see you. I could still hunt a woods all day long and never have a dull moment.

I rarely spend time in an elevated stand. I can't sit still long enough and have to move around once in a while so I'll work my way around, find a spot on a fallen tree, stump, or whatever and sit for a while then move on some more. I don't cover that much ground but it helps keep me warmer and awake.

One thing I have to admit though. My brother is just the opposite. He crawls into his stand before daylight and doesn't come out until dark and he certainly has seen and taken more deer than I have.