• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electrical question

MuskieJunkie

I have a 15 amp circuit breaker that keeps tripping (from my wife's hair dryer). Can I just replace that one with a 30 amp or is there more to it than that?

I replaced a circuit breaker with the same sized one once before on a different house so I'm electrically inclined enough to do it I just thought I'd ask here in case there are any pitfalls I should be aware of. Thanks guys.

Absolutely NOT! Putting in a higher amp breaker is asking for disaster.

Breakers are installed based on the load carrying ability of the circuit.

Putting a larger breaker on a circuit that is unable to carry the larger load will allow the wiring to overheat and/or burn before the breaker trips.

Do not do this!!!!!!!!!

I would try replacing it with the same size breaker, it is possible the breaker is getting weak, and is tripping at a lower amperage then it is intended too. If that dont work, have her do her hair elsewhere smile

Or find whatever else may be powered by that circuit and relocate it.

As the other guys have stated, NO. That will be a gauranteed way to start a fire. It could be the breaker or it could be the hairdrier. Have you considered replacing the wife with a lower maintenance model? The cost savings could be huge over the long run but there is a substantial early removal penalty that will sting for awhile.

I'm just kidding of course. My wifes hairdrier does the same thing in my house.

As the other guys have stated, NO. That will be a gauranteed way to start a fire. It could be the breaker or it could be the hairdrier. Have you considered replacing the wife with a lower maintenance model? The cost savings could be huge over the long run but there is a substantial early removal penalty that will sting for awhile.

I'm just kidding of course. My wifes hairdrier does the same thing in my house.

full-13877-24581-hysterical.gif

Have you considered replacing the wife with a lower maintenance model?

Love it.

Yes, however to trade in the old model would cost me half of my bank account and even though the new model is 2/3 the age it is expensive and VERY high maintenance.

I'm also kidding.....the new model isn't really that expensive.

If you're home alone some day, try turning off all of the breakers except for the "hair dryer" circuit. Run around the house and turn on every light and plug a tester into every outlet. That will help you figure out what is all running on line. The breaker could have gone bad, but I'd bet my money that you've got too much powered by that circuit.

The best thing would be to drop a new breaker into an empty slot and run a new wire to the bathroom, if you have access to the ceilings and walls to do so.

Then again, if she's running the hair dryer too much you might as well leave the circuit as is. It'll keep your electrical bill from running sky high