• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LX-7 vs. FL22HD

gwiff100

I know this couls stir up a long debate but i have to ask. Let me start off by saying i have always owned a vex and never complained once. I am just wondering if anyone has used the LX-7s and what is their opinion on them. This winter and am adding one of these units and i am torn between the two. I like the LCD display of the marcum but i like vexilars as well.

Thoughts?

Here we go, a sure sign that ice is coming is the ol' Vex vs. Marcum debate!

I think both units are quality and if something is wrong it will be fixed by the company, without issue... so as far as that argument goes, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have been in this same boat. I am leaning towards the LX-7 for two reasons:

a) In all my research and reading reviews, there is no doubt that the Marcum performs better and uses more modern technology (basically like saying sure Windows 95 works awesome, but I prefer Windows 7). The interference rejection on Marcum is hands down better. If you don't believe me, try having a FL-22, a Humminbird, and two Marcums in the same wheelhouse. The Vexilar guy will not be happy

B) The larger screen. I really believe the larger screen is going to be the biggest benefit... I think it is one of those things you won't appreciate right away, but if you ever have to go back to an FL-18 or FL-22HD you would sure miss it. Imagine watching your favorite TV show all season long on a 50" LED TV, and then all of the sudden you have to downgrade to a 20" tube TV. I think you would be pretty upset smile

So, I am putting the money down on an LX-7, as I think I would always envy not having all the features it has if my best bud ever bought one.

I picked up a LX7 last season and let's put it this way . it is hands down the best unit out there for the following reason in my opinion.

you have the option to view the display in three different ways. first is the flasher mode/screen, second is a graph like a summer fish finder, & third you have the show down vertical type display. the cool thing is that you can have all three of these view showing side by side if you choose to. I normaly run mine in the flasher view and the zoom view(same as the the show down view but zoomed in on a specific section of the water column). the other notable thing that sets the LX7 apart from all other flasher out there is the fact that the software is upgradeable as new updates are released. the final thing is that it is rumored that anyone that owns a LX7 can have it upgraded to a LX9. I haven't checked this out with Marcum yet but if it is true then I forsee some that own the LX7 will do this upgrade which would add the under water camera to the unit. I think this could be done by a software update and the addition of the camera and internal dvr but the upgrade would most likely have to be done by Marcum. The Marcum may be a little more expense then a Vex FL22 but when you buy the LX7 you are gettin basically three sonar system in one unit.

I havent used or seen an LX-7, so, can not give any advice there. Hoping to fish it sometime, just to see how it "drives" and see how all the features work. But, overall, from what I have seen and read, I can not see how it will equal more fish on the ice than any competing ice sonar on the market.

Myself, I do have quite a bit of experience with the FL-22. With that, I can say, that by either choice, you will probably put just as many fish on the ice, because I well know that between the 22 and 20 that I use in my guide service, myself and my clients probably put just as many fish on the ice, if not more, than those who use an LX-7. Its more about interperting and knowing what your sonar is telling you and then how to react to the fish to get bit.

Big reason I love a Vexilar is that I know that I can see fish movements and reactions to how I present a lure to them. Due to a high resolution count on the screen (which to some who use other electronics say makes the fish look like a blob, because their screens shows a fish as a very thin line) a lot of times I can see multiple colors associated in a fishes return on my screen. And by watching what those colors do and the signal return does when a fish approaches, I can determine what the fish is up to and their mood, thus, allowing an adjustment in my presentation. Might be able to do this with an LX-7? Not sure, havent heard if you can or not. But,I do know you could not with other competing sonars models.

Here is a great article written about what I was talking about..

Sonar Signals and Walleyes

Anyhow, enough of my boredom. Either way, each will catch ya fish, just look to the one that suits what you need the most and will last you the longest for the money you spend.

I was looking to upgrade my ice fishing electronics recently and I finally chose the FL22 HD because I felt it would work best for me. I move frequently and drill lots and lots of holes. My perception of durability of electronics was the main consideration. Another factor (although much smaller) was the ability for the Vexilar to work with the universal sonar on my Minnkota.If my main syle was fishing from a wheel house I may have gave the other units more consideration.

Again, I dont think this is really about which flasher is going to allow you to catch more fish. All flashers will help you catch fish.

Think of it this way, a flasher is a just an information hwy to allow you to interpret both the actions of you and the fish. Newer flashers like the LX7 simply does this better then the old mechanical flashers due to the features they offer. You still have to get out there and get the fish to bite but having a detail map or hwy of better information allows you to become better prepared in situations that affect fish behavior, bite, structure & location. In part with a flasher like the LX7/LX9 there is no comparison as a learning tool that allows you to best your fishing situation currently.

Be advise that there are those who dont adjust well to too much information, being simple may be your best weapon on the hardwater.

Question for those who use the Lx-7. By having all three options available you can use on the display - Flasher, Vertical Display and Graph, how do each of them or using them in conjunction with one another allow you to catch more fish over a mechanical flasher?

The one benefit I do see in a graph mode over a flasher, is that you can see a signal that came into the cone angle and left, as it leaves a tell tale across the screen.

On the LX-9, I think the camera mode on the same screen as a graph - flasher - etc is very cool.

Fishing 4 lines in 40'+ of water and being able to distinguish each bait and who's it is in the bottom 5-10' is invaluble, having vertical zoom on the sidebar makes it even more simple. Not something we could duplicate with any other unit.... The graph comes in handy for watching your jigging patterns and keying in the sublte things that turn them on when it's a tough bite....Plus knowing your cone angle coverage at a glance and ability to ajust brightness to the day or night lighting situation is nice and no more flasher eyes...

Using an LX5 and HB55 I've been outfished by an FL8 many many times.

One thing you cannot argue with is Vexilars history of quality and customer service, but it's really tough to compare the 2 since one is a mechanical flasher and the other is an LCD software based unit.

Is the FL-22 avaliable on the Genz box? I like the smaller profile of the Genz over the Pro or Ultra

I don't think so, but if you are ever around Bloomington, they will swap if for you. I brought my new pro pack there and had them put it on an Ultra for the difference in cost. Left with a free rod holder and 2 vexilar towels.