• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sneak peak on a new reel

Dark Cloud

13 Fishing has a released a new reel called the Black Betty. Sweet little reel that will serve many well.

But rumors have been abound about "another reel" they are working on... whistle

More and more info is being leaked about this reel that will fill the line retrevial rate issues of fly reels. This prototype being called the Ice Ninja will sport a 17 inch per crank line uptake, butter smooth drag, and remain super lightweight...

Cant wait to get my hands on one!

Here is a drawing and prototype picture...

full-1130-24554-ice_reel_drawing_2.jpg

full-1130-24555-ice_reel_1.jpg

I have been working on a design almost identical to that for a few years now. Dammit, beat to the punch. I had the handle set up on the spool side though, and actually like their approach a bit better. That is gonna be a sweet reel and I can see about 5 of them making their way into my arsenal.

I agree, they need to consider the fact that most ice fisherman are pretty frugal.

I bet anything over $60 will slash their market quite a bit. You can get a helluva nice spinning reel for $60

Exactly and a spinning reel is more useful year around IMO. I dont see this thing casting real well, maybe I am wrong so in that regard I feel its single season use unless you plan on vertically jigging with it, which I dont do entirely too much open water.

I agree, they need to consider the fact that most ice fisherman are pretty frugal.

I bet anything over $60 will slash their market quite a bit. You can get a helluva nice spinning reel for $60

I don't totally agree with this. The ice fishing world has changed. 25 years ago almost all ice gear was relatively inexpensive and there weren't a lot of options. I remember when only a few people had gas augers and now almost everyone has one. People are buying $700+ electronics. Thorne Bros. has no problem selling $80+ ice rods. I'm amazed at the amount of money I see people drop at the Ice Show. Go out on Mille Lacs after New Years and there are wheel houses everywhere. I'm not saying that anyone has to spend a lot, but different people have different priorities.

I like to save and spend my money on high quality ice gear and open water fishing equipment. Those are my hobbies and I like to buy good equipment. I don't own a flat screen TV, my laptop is six years old, I don't have a stereo, I don't own a video game system, don't have golf clubs and don't have kids grin I look at my fishing equipment as a long term investment and it is something that keeps me outside and enjoying life. I'd rather spend $60 on a really good fly reel that will give me many years of use and avoid paying $20 every other year to replace a cheap reel. I know people that spend $130 per month for cable or satellite TV and I think that is crazy.

I will admit there are some fantastic ice fisherman that dominate shallow water panfish with a $5.00 Schooley reel. I also know an old guy that can out fish almost anyone on the ice and he doesn't own a flasher. However, the world of ice fishing has changed and I see a lot of spending.

If a guy has a $100 to fill the truck tank to go hit a lake or two for a day or a weekend, $25 on bait, etc, etc, they probably don't mind spending the money on good gear. That being said- I think some people are making ice fishing way more complex that it needs to be but someone's got to be the sucker to buy new chit every year. Kind of like the guys that have to have the brand new bow every year that isn't worth a thing a few years down the line... I'll stick to guns but that's just me ;-)

If your a guy that spends every weekend on the ice during season as well as any other evening you can get out, $100 isn't out of line... Many of us spend that on a custom rod, many have several custom ice rods.. I know I'll have at least one maybe more if I can get my hands on them...