• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Little Help or Guidance

I'm getting back into deer hunting and have a one trail camera out on the land I will be hunting this year. I've got some permanent stands already on the land that past hunters say they have take bucks from. I'm located near the national Superior Forest so I don't think the deer population is as high as other areas

I've had the trail camera out for a few weeks now and we are getting some activity on the camera but its all been does so far. I'm really instersted in getting some pictures of bucks for my 2 boys to see.

I'm in a quandry right now if I should be patient with my current trail camera spot or if I should move it to somewhere else for another scouting location. Funds are a little tight now to get a second camera. Thoughts or suggestions?

Be patient, where there are does the bucks will follow. Bucks are often out on their own right now and stick to themselves. The doe groups also kind of take over a small area for themselves, the closer to rifle season you get the more the bucks and does will mingle. This sound like a perfect setup to let you boys see some does and shoot any bucks patroling the area.

Agree with bear just be patient. Things can and will change between now and the start of season. Don't worry about what you see or don't see on camera, look around for other sign as the season gets closer like scraps amd rubs. I personaly don't use cameras but spend alot of time scouting, have lots of stand locations, hunt the corrent conditions and what I feel is the hot area at the time. I see guys with more pictures of deer from their camera but nothing to show for it after season because they get so wrapped up with what they saw on their camera they over look other areas and concentrate on that one spot or deer. Learn to adapt and have several options to work with.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The trail camera is only one aspect to be used for scouting you are correct there are other signs as well to be looking for as well.

DinnerPail one of your comments about looking for rubs and scrapes around my locations.

Is it too early to start trying to create some mock scrapes or is there anything I can do for scent wise or is it way to early yet? I remember a Drip that Wildlife research had not sure if still on the market or not.

Not too early for mock scrapes according to the Deer & Deer Hunting guys. I made 6 of them last Wednesday, 3 each near two different stand sites. I plan to make some more this weekend. I didn't use any scent, just snipped around a licking branch & tore the ground up underneath it with a rake.

I'd maybe move it, how often will you get a chance to move it etc.,how often are you there, you can always move it back to it's location later like I'd say you want it where you want it by Oct.15ish. I've noticed from October 20th until opener it's bucks on a heavy nighttime mission feeling the urge to find a doe or lay claim to an area. I put my cam on 1 lone groundscrape a few years ago, boy was I surprised to find in 10 days time 11 different bucks checked it, refreshened it, or it simply drew them in to fight which I had some fighting on the scrape on camera with others watching. It gave me plenty of confidence sitting there that year, my thinking was I'd see the buck that made the scrape and hopefully some more. 11 of them geez and there were a dozen or so tree rubs around, not much sign for 11 bucks that are traveling by. Good luck and sounds like you have permanent stands so your cam won't alter where you guys sit opening day so just have fun with it.