• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

An interesting border question for you Canada guys

So our party was doing the US to Canada border crossing this last week.

We had 3 people and 2 trucks/boats.

One of us was driving by himself but we went through right at the same time.

My buddies had made a stop at the duty free and went inside to pay. The buddy I was driving with was right next to my other buddy at the counter. My friend immediately paid and was on his way when the agent behind the counter told our other friend to wait and that they were going to "do some researching"

They led him into a back room and started to ask him all kinds of questions. Mostly questions about stuff you would generally consider normal. Where you from, where do you work, what brings you to Canada etc..

Then they asked him if he had any hidden tattoos. They even made him lift up his arms and roll up his sleeves and prove that he didnt have any.

This is the part we felt was really, really odd!

Why the tattoo question? Do you think his picture came up and he looked like someone familiar that was on a "wanted list" or something?

Thats all I can think of. The finally asked him a few more things, searched inside the truck and boat pretty thoroughly and sent him on his way.

Anybody else have any ideas...or had this happen to them?

Thanks-

Hoffer

Was this at the duty free shop north of the border (in Canada) after the immigration/customs stuff was already done? I can't see why they'd duplicate the effort by having the duty free shop attendants worrying about immigration and customs issues that should have been resolved at the border itself. Strange.

We drove through customs. Were asked all the usual questions.

We then stopped by the duty free to pick up the supply.

They each bought like an extra case of beer or something like that and so they then had to go back into the regular customs area...only inside to pay for the extra beer over the normal duty free.

It was inside the customs office that they were paying and my one buddy paid and walked out and the other buddy had to go into a back room where they questioned him more and about the tattoos.

It wasnt the duty free shop or anything like that who questioned him. It was officers inside the customs building.

Hope that makes sense?

The duty free place where you go in an buy your stuff is before the border.

They then give you a slip of paper.

Then you go pick up your stuff at the little shed.

Then you go through customs.

Normally your on your way.

My buddies brought extra across the border so after the outside customs check they had to go inside to pay for their extra stuff.

My buddy that got checked for tattoos etc...made it through the outside customs check with no issues. He was then going back inside to pay and that is where they then brought him back to a back room for further questioning.

But before he went in to pay, they made no mention of anything else at the outside customs check. They didnt say anything at all...they just passed him through. It wasnt until he was back inside paying duty on the extra beer that they then brought him back for further questioning.

weird!

his name came back as a hit in their system. Either someone wanted, known gang member, biker, someone wanted by a warrant with the same name. The tattoo question was how they identified the wanted guy. No tats on your buddy, so not a problem. I would suggest your buddy check to make sure someone isn't using his identity.

We also had a strange scenario last summer when we crossed the border from International Falls going into Fort Frances. We pulled our truck and boat into the parking area to pay our duty once we crossed. I was in the drivers seat when a Border Patrol walked up and signalled me to roll down the window. I did as he said and he put his hand on the truck door and says " Alright, where are you hiding the drugs?" We obviously had no drugs and we told him "We have no drugs sir" He laughed and said "Good, have a good trip"

I'm sure it was funny for him to lighten his day up, but pretty unprofessional considering border crossing is a serious deal.

We also had a strange scenario last summer when we crossed the border from International Falls going into Fort Frances. We pulled our truck and boat into the parking area to pay our duty once we crossed. I was in the drivers seat when a Border Patrol walked up and signalled me to roll down the window. I did as he said and he put his hand on the truck door and says " Alright, where are you hiding the drugs?" We obviously had no drugs and we told him "We have no drugs sir" He laughed and said "Good, have a good trip"

I'm sure it was funny for him to lighten his day up, but pretty unprofessional considering border crossing is a serious deal.

What makes you think he was joking? It's another tactic they use... you think your in the clear, they ask you like that when your guard is down. I guarantee had you hesitated, you would have had a longer stay at the border.

My experience crossing 3 times this year is that the agents on the Canadian side have become much more relaxed and the US side more "thorough". It's kind of frustrating that you get more flak for trying to enter your own country.

My experience crossing 3 times this year is that the agents on the Canadian side have become much more relaxed and the US side more "thorough". It's kind of frustrating that you get more flak for trying to enter your own country.

Well I think it's understandable since 911 and also them terrorists entering Canada first for a way to get into the States . Heck our agents only just got given the go ahead to carry sidearms .

TD