• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth shotgun for deer

My son will be eligible next year for the early youth deer hunt. We have been practicing gun safety and shooting. The thought of sitting in a stand with him while he hunts deer is awesome, cannot wait. My question/request is if there is anyone out there that has a youth model 20 or 410 feel free to respond. Probably have a lot more success looking after deer season but what else can I say other than I have the itch now. Also any tricks or pearls of wisdom anyone may have regarding making a childs first deer hunt a happy hunt. Love this site as there are so many of you that have shared great info with me, THANKS.

I think it depends on the kid. I know when I take my kid with me, I make sure he will be comfortable, that he has lots of snacks, and then if its a long sit, that he has some kind of entertainment. Now, keep in mind, he is only 5. As he gets older, I am hoping that he will want to venture out on his own. But for right now, the big three are comfort, food, and entertainment.

As for the youth gun, I have yet to find a good cheap one. One route would be to buy a good 20 guage 870 and then buy an after market youth stock. You can always turn around and sell both later, or if your son likes it, you can just put back on the adult stock. You will have a little more invested but, finding a cheap 870 express is easy, finding a cheap 870 express youth, is a little more difficult.

Like trigger said, Food, comfort, and entertainment. I also recomend start with evening hunts as they are usually warmer and also dont make the sit to long. I took my son bow hunting with me starting at 10 and kept it short by going about 1.5 hours before dark and kept it simple. I was even blessed by getting a doe with him in the stand. But biggest thing like stated is keeping them comfortable and fed.

As far as a gun went I got my son a Mossberg 500 Bantom 20ga with an adjustable stock that grew with him. It came with a rifled slug barrel and bird barrel. Still have it and now my wife shoots it as she just got into deer hunting.

Have fun with you child and make it all about them..

Froggy

I bought my wife a Browning BPS Micro- 20 gauge with the fully rifled cantilever barrel 3 years ago. She loves it and it fits her small frame perfectly. We had it sighted in at 100 yards and she ended up shooting her 1st buck at 10 yards-go figure.

Very sweet little gun (I even took it out deer hunting last year on a long long walk to the stand).

Good luck finding the right gun!