• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats the trick to tapcon screws ????

coonchaser

I also went with a slight smaller drill, doesn't take much wobble while drilling to make the hole too large to really hold much.

That also depends on the hardness of the concrete. I had a time once where a concrete floor was outrageously hard and took 5+ minutes to drill 1" deep (using a hammer drill and new bit) then trying to screw the tapcons in was next to impossible without sheering it. I had to enlarge all the holes to the next size up and it was still a bear to screw in but they no longer sheared.

So my advice, if you're going into a standard concrete/brick/block then use the size recommended. If the material seems soft, stop drilling or relocate your hole and go with the next size down. But if the material is super hard you may need to go with the next size up.

I agree not all concrete is created equal. I was drilling into block and the small stones would kick the bit around a little making the hole a little too big on some of them. And the smaller screws don't have that much bite to start with.

In addition to what others have said, make sure that you're drilling deep enough. I normally go at least 1/2" deeper than the length of the tapcon. Also make sure you blow all the concrete dust out of the hole. That, in part, is why I always go deeper than the screw length, in case I don't get it all.