• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Novice decoy carver needs help

chad austin

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll need a back stabilizing fin to make it swim right, otherwise it will wobble quite a bit. Looks great otherwise! Ive been working on a clear finned walleye and a new Jaws Northern Tribal firetiger for myself once I get them done Ill post some pics. As for filler as mentioned above, scrap that idea, use Apoxie Sculpt 2 part putty. You can find it thru VanDykes Taxidermy or Mckenzie Taxidermy, $33 for the big tub and it will fill over 200 decoys. Its hard as a rock and can be painted while its still curing.

As of right now I have a JAWS decoy, when I put it in water everything but the dorsal fin goes under lol. I have been really busy at work the last few weeks, coupled with the bathroom remodel (done) to keep my wife happy for the up coming ice season grin , I haven't had much down time lately.

I worked on my first decoy again this weekend.

I "cheated" and went to a profesional carvers workshop for some guidance with the weighting and finning.

He actually recomended larger fins but I like the way the front fins look.

I don't like the look of the back fins, but I ran out of time.

Finned and weighted... Painting next.

It swims and sits "right" but it is a screamer... very fast.... If I don't like how fast it is later, I will take some weight way from it to slow it down some later... or not smile (larger fins would have slowed it too I guess)

8357027319_8a4900e8fe_z.jpg

8358093590_6b6ac2695a_z.jpg

Looks good merk. More often than not, I like a faster decoy. But yesterday, they like the slow swimmers. Is it bru-ell fast? You can really get them zipping around the hole.

I should be spearing by the end of the week...

I will take some videos.... Hope to have a nice look and release vid with it... we will see.

I think finger paints only come in primary colors wink

That is it..... it is settled..... In honor of this post... I am goint to paint it with crayons..... then clear coat.

It is white now, but I will put some color on it. smilesmile