• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2012 Ruff Grouse hunting reports-yes anouther season has arrived

We only put up 3 birds all weekend and they were all eating gravel. We got one. It was tough walking through the woods with the temps so high and there was pretty much all the foliage still up. We had a great time though!

Me and another guy got out at sunrise Saturday and bagged 7 birds. Should have had 9 - missed 2 slam dunks. Saw probably 10 others we either didn't get a shot at or missed.

This was my first time hunting in this area but not so for my partner. He said this was the best opener he had ever experienced. Not sure if the bird number are that good or if we just got lucky. I will post my next hunt - hope to repeat the success.

Sunday report is similar, 5 hours hunted, put up 9, got 6. I had a clean miss on a gimme, otherwise we shot pretty well. 11 for 20 on the weekend was pretty good for us on opener.

I don't think the numbers are high, but I do think the birds are going to take a beating this year. With the lack of berries and dry conditions, the birds are pretty predictable. Even with lots of leaves up yet, you can hear them from a mile away and be prepped. They are hitting the trails all day, off and on. All clover and catkins in 11 birds. Not a single rosehip or dogwood, snowberry, notta...

We hunted the morning and eveing Saturday and this morning until 11 or so. We moved 15 grouse and 8 WC Saturday but only bagged one bird. Lots of wild flushes and only one family group. We moved a couple of grouse and 7 or 8 more WC today but didn't bag any grouse. We were disappointed that we didn't get any real good shots at birds and that we didn't see any birds in some cover that looked like the right stuff. It would have been better if we could have shot some of the many WC the dogs pointed.

Alright...Alright!!! All this talk of grouse has got me dusting off the 16-gauge, and cleaning the old dusty sticks, leaves and twigs outta my upland vest!

Nice cool temps this week should make for some nice walks with the new puppy. He seems anxious to go walking, and sniffing around in the woods. We'll see how he does! smile