• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shooting peep and pin with both eyes open?

berke99

I want to learn to do this. I currently shoot with my left eye closed and shoot fairly well, but I want to change to having both eyes open for better field vision. I would really appreciate any pointers and tips to change this over. Thanks in advance for any help!

Got a BB gun start there..22 maybe practice with small cheap ammo,When you think its easy move on up.I was lucky I was taught as a kid to keep both eyes open.Now even with my bow,I have the large field of view.

Just do it!!

Just start practicing. Start by lining it up with the left eye closed then open it. At first you will probably see too sets of pins as you are focusing down range while lining up the pins, after some practice,you will automatically focus on the right set and eventually not see the other set at all. I would also start on a target that has colored rings to help focus on the sight and target with both eyes open. It might be frustrating at first, but in time it will become natural. I taught myself about 10 years ago when I had a nice buck in front of me and kept losing it when I closed my left eye. I don't have that problem any more. It is very natural to keep both eyes open now.

With a bow I think it would be nearly impossible to shoot with both eyes open if shooting opposite of eye dominance. I am the same way I shoot right handed but left eye dominate. Rifle or bow I can not focus properly with both eyes open shooting right handed.

I taught myself to shoot right or left handed with the rifle, very nice for hunting, alot less movement in the tree and very comfortable.

Look into one of the many different peep-less options out there (Perrys no peep, peep eliminator, etc etc.)

This will allow you to shoot with both eyes open, making low light shots much easier.

You will never use a peep again! smile

Im kinda mixed up, I shoot right handed with a gun an write right handed, but throw left handed an have a left hand dominance but am right eye dominate that why i shootgun right handed, But wanted to shoot bow left handed cause of left hand dominance but had to learnt to shoot right handed cause i an right eye dominate. Weired i know. So I shoot right handed now with both eyes open. When i pick up a bow to this day i have atendency to start drawing left handed an "Oh yea cant do that"

@hookjunior:

Eye dominance is just like handedness.. Nature vs. Nurture arguments find evidence for both claims.

Many people will say shoot with your dominant eye and not against it.

I argue that training your "dumb" eye is just like training your "dumb" hand. Both can be done.

To train yourself to use your "dumb" eye with both eyes open, you'll need to understand parallax vision and figure out which image of a double-image to focus on mentally. I do some dumb-eye training and make use of parallax vision when shooting my blowgun. I'm pretty eye-ambidextrous.. if that makes sense.

A bit off topic, but I think many children could do without handedness reinforcement from parents, and instead be encouraged to learn to use both sides of their bodies to perform every task and motion in life.