• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flatheads

The Grebe

Is there any fishing for flatheads between St. Anthony dam and the Ford dam? I've caught channels out of there, but never heard anything about flatheads? I was just wondering if fishable flatheads reside between the two dams? I've never fished for them but I'm thinking of giving it a try?

You just had to wait till the catfisherman hour. Yeah there in there whistle Ive personally never caught or seen one caught north of the second dam at st anthony but ive heard fish tales. Its a shame that theres no boat launch directly in that pool though.

Thanks BJ. I'm not going to turn into a catfishermen, that I know, but I wouldn't mind trying it a few times. I catch incidental channel cats while fishing for other species in the different rivers, but I haven't specifically targeted channel cats for more years then I care to count!

Flatheads are a different story, I may have unknowingly caught a small one years back? I've never specifically targeted them. Well, I got the gear, I've got the drive, now I have to do some scouting and find an area I think might hold the fish? I've got a couple of spots in mind, time to get after em!

Thanks BJ. I'm not going to turn into a catfishermen, that I know, but I wouldn't mind trying it a few times.

Thats what they all say and before you know it your a full fledged cat guy. grin

Good luck Grebe I hope you get into a few flats.

I agree with wityh aanderude if your going to target flatheads hit water that has a higher number of them to up your odds.

It might help to focus your time on may/june- august. Not that they can't be caught now but there's a lot of cat guys who have probably never got one in Sept- it's not really the best of times by any means. That being said- I saw one caught last fri, and I caught a 40# or so a year ago in mid Sept.

I'm glad you told me that. I did see a clip where they said the flatheads go almost dormant in the winter, even to the point of having a layer of silt settle over them. I suppose that it is a gradual shutting down process?

Next June/July/ August would be a good time, I can do plenty of snooping between now and then and have a good game plan developed. Thanks for the tip.