• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Rod Holders

amateurfishing

It really depends what you want and are willing to do to your boat.

I didnt want to have the deck mounts because I wanted a flush install. Too many things that line, etc can get caught on otherwise.

I have the scotty flush mounts. The downfall of these type mounts is you need to drill a sizeable hole in your deck. It gets covered by the mount itself, but some may not be willing to do that. For me, the benefits outweighed the uneasiness of drilling a hole in my new boat.

There are other options for a flatter mount (not flush), but they get spendy. Berts Tracks makes some nice mounts you can mount to the deck of your boat, but then you need adapters to fit whatever rod holder base you have. I really considered these before going the scotty flush mount route, but the cost and the fact they are not flat with the deck turned me away. I didnt want the chance one of my kids or me for that matter could get cut climbing in or out of the boat because there are some edges on them.

The one thing I really wish is that you could buy the scotty rod holders WITH the flush base and not have to by the flush base separate. That adds $10 or so to the price which isnt a lot, but if I could find a place that sells it with just the flush mount it would be cheaper and not have parts I have no intention of using.

i went with the 4 pack 360 HT c a b's with deck mount, should work good nuff for me, not really concerned bout looks but did not want to drill the larger hole for flush mount, figured getting the four pack was like getting the 4th free cause individually they r like $25/ea. also picked these cause they did come with their mounts opposed to others that did not

If you use large washers like fender washers on the underside you should be fine for 99% of any type of trolling you would do.

Its exactly what I used and it works fine and I troll for muskies at speeds in excess of 5 mph and never had anything loosen up on me yet.

I could see needing a backing plate if you were mounting downriggers or something, but the large washers with a small hole (fender washers) should serve you just fine.

Make sure they are exactly where you want them and to make sure that the rod handle won't be interfering with anything inside the boat. People seem to forget about the rod handle sticking into the boat when laying out their rod holders.

That's why I have been reluctant to add one more. I didn't put one close enough to the driver seat and don't really want to add another.

I don't like being tied to the drivers seat anyway so I often troll while standing in the back of the boat using ipilot to steer while being pushed by the main motor.

The other thing I noticed when installing my flush mount scottys was I had to rotate the base 180 degrees because of how you insert and lock in the holder. Otherwise I would have had to insert holder with it facing outside the boat, then rotate 360 degrees to lock it into place. Now I insert the holder (from either side of boat) with it pointing inside the boat and rotate it 180 degrees to point out and lock it.

There is a little graphic or something on the base that says front of boat or something, but the non drivers side I have it reversed.

Does anyone know if the scottys and cabelas holders are interchangeable?

i did notice this a.m. when playing with them there is a certain way to install them so when u rotate the holder it cant rotate 180 & face inside the boat. bought 4 but only plannng on installing 3 (or maybe even 2) to begin. one will be as forward as possible by side console drivers seat so i can use it either trolling or driving, probably 1 farther back on same side close to seat, then 1 opposite drivers side as far back as possible while thinking bout adding fourth later more forward from that one.

If you plan on fishing the river or in Wisconsin, 4 rod holders are almost a must, with 6 bases being even better. You can put in multiple bases to put the rods where the situation call for, that way you have some built in adjustability.

For me, I run my leadcore and planerboard rods in different places on the boat. I also have a rod holder base on each side up front for when I am up on the bow running the trolling motor. If I am needed to net a fish, I just set the rod in the holder and I don't have to worry about it then.

I run 8 bases total. On each side I have one up front, two on the side and one offset inboard in the back. This makes a great shorty rod holder for trolling lead.

Put a little thought into it, but it's not brain surgery. One thing to remember, when trolling the rod will twist a little in the holder so he handle will be a little farther forward of the base. On my last boat the one I installed behind me was to close, and when pulling a big crank or lead the handle would hit me in the back.

If you plan on fishing the river or in Wisconsin, 4 rod holders are almost a must, with 6 bases being even better. You can put in multiple bases to put the rods where the situation call for, that way you have some built in adjustability.

For me, I run my leadcore and planerboard rods in different places on the boat. I also have a rod holder base on each side up front for when I am up on the bow running the trolling motor. If I am needed to net a fish, I just set the rod in the holder and I don't have to worry about it then.

I run 8 bases total. On each side I have one up front, two on the side and one offset inboard in the back. This makes a great shorty rod holder for trolling lead.

Put a little thought into it, but it's not brain surgery. One thing to remember, when trolling the rod will twist a little in the holder so he handle will be a little farther forward of the base. On my last boat the one I installed behind me was to close, and when pulling a big crank or lead the handle would hit me in the back.

excellent tips, thank u very much

played around with it a little bit today & think 1 will go right in front of console for sure to use if i am driving or trolling up front

Something I did to my boat which worked out very well was put the Ranger style chrome rails on top of the gunnels. You can then put your bases on the rail and move them around until you find out where you want them. I've also have bases in the back of the boat and a couple more up in the bow.

What this has done is given me a boat that can be used just about any way I want. Catfishing out the back, I have rod holders where I need them. Walleye trolling... rod holders where I need them. Anchoring sideways for cattin... I've got rod holders from bow to stearn. Walleyes off the bow... got a couple rod holders when I can use 2 rods.

Excellent point Chris. The rails do make placement alot easier and much less permanent. If your thinking about doing rails, the cheapest place to get them is either Cabelas or a place called metalogic. Metalogic is the company that makes them for both Ranger and Cabelas, and is cheaper than both.

i would a agree with the rails unfortunately at this time that is not in the pocket book and think my very young kids would just have more difficulty getting in the boat. im sure i wont keep this 30 year old boat forever & do consider cost analysis b4 doing anything to it.

and if it was not for the fall trolling GTG next weekend i would have just waited till next year

too install the rod holders along the gunwhale i have insullation in the way everywhere, is this a normal problem? am i supposed to remove insulation under the gunwhale to attach rod holders?....if so how? the insulation is very hard itself and difficult access.