• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is the best broadhead under $39.99?

NELS-BELLS

What are some of the better broadheads for under $39.99? Fixed blade or expandable, doesn't matter. It seems like all of the top selling or advertised broadheads are now $39.99 at the stores. I know there are cheaper ones, but are they as good?

I'm in the market to get some broadheads and I'm just frustrated with how much they cost for 3 broadheads that in some cases you can only shoot once.

I realize that if I go fixed blade, I may need to do some tuning to get them flying like my field tips.

Nels

I like Thunderheads, been shooting them for years, they fly well out of my bow, and do a nice job once they hit the deer. They have the replaceable blades, my rule is if they hit the ground, they get replaced, so you're always shooting a sharp broadhead. And they fit your price point, last time I checked, six broadheads were less than $40.

Don't mean to sound like I'm torching you, but is this seriously where you want to scrimp? All the time and effort (and money) spent on the sport, and when it comes time to choose the tool that actually does the job, this is where you want to save a dollar?

I'm sure there are some good choices out there for a few bucks less, but I'd rather buy a cheaper set of camo than try to get by with something less here.

Good broadhead choices? Strictly a Ford -vs- Chevy issue. That topic has been done to death.

I guess I've always liked my muzzys - 3 blade, 100gr. THEY have never failed me when I made a good shot. They cost about $30 for six plus some practice blades when not on sale. BTW, I say THEY, because I mean, I have failed myself on occassion with a poor shot but have never blamed the broadhead nor expected it to compensate for a poor one. Good luck on whatever you decide. BTW, I have some two blade rages too. They work nice as well but are more spendy as you know. Plus fixed blades are nice for blind hunting with mesh windows.

Nels, you might be able to find some of the 2 blade Magnus heads for a reasonable price. Though those too have been marked up excessively along with everything else the last bunch of years. I shoot the cheaper 2 blade fixed heads and they are fine as long as the bow is tuned decently. Last year I bought some Stinger 2 blade heads, already lost two and now the price jumped on those as well... Frustrating...

Buy a good fixed blade broadhead (FBB) that can be resharpened, and thus, reuseable. This is important because it not only allows you to use them on more than one critter, but it allows you to PRACTICE WITH THEM SO YOU GET CONFIDENCE IN YOUR BROADHEAD PLACEMENT. I've been through a lot of different heads, mechanical and fixed, and I've finally realized that a good one piece FBB is about as good as a guy can get. I'd look either at G5 Montecs or one of the Magnus heads. Both are able to be resharpened, Magnus even has a lifetime warranty - bend or break a blade, whatever, send it in and they'll replace it.

For the record, I'm currently shooting Montecs.

I've used Muzzy MX 3 blade 100 grains for the last several years, but have tried the Slick Tricks 4 blade 100 grain last year for antelope and was REALLY impressed with what that little broadhead did to my antelope on a less than perfect shot.

All I can say about that Slick Trick is WOW!!!! My guide thought that I had shot my antelope w/ a rifle w/ all the damage it did, especially breaking the femur on the back ham in half and poking out the other side.

My 13 year old daughter also used them last year and shot a big, mature doe at 11 yds, shooting 30lbs on her Darton Ranger. A high double lung hit and the broadhead was poking hide out on the exit side of the deer.

For a little broadhead, it packs one heck of a PUNCH!!!

Brian

Every broadhead I've seen is under $40, but they may have changed in the last couple weeks.

I kind of agree with Donbo that you didn't spend several hundred dollars on an archery setup to worry about $10 on the part of the arrow that will actually kill the animal.

As far as which heads, you've heard nearly every big name in this one said. All of them will work, most will require a small amount of adjustment so make sure you practice with them.

I have Rage 2 blade for mech and G5 Striker for fixed blade. Both have killed every deer I've shot. I'm thinking about shooting the Slick Trick magnums after reading some great reviews about them and their sharpness and durability. Personally, I don't want to sharpen my broadheads to reuse them. I buy heads that have replaceable blades. If I ding one up I can swap out blades in the field and get back to hunting.

To Don Bo and Powerstroke: Thanks for your input but I think you missed the point. What I should have said is "just because a broadhead is the most expensive on the market, does it make it the best or are there others that are just as effective for less money?" If so, what are those less expensive ones and why do you like them?

I have numerous $100 rod and reel set ups for fishing and they are all set up with Trilene fishing line, even though there are way more expensive fishing lines out there. I also don't buy the most expensive TroKar hooks, because I know I can catch just as many on the less expensive Gamagatsu hooks.

Some of us don't make the big money and are on tight budgets. Every dollar adds up.

As far as the topic, there are numberous topics that get repeated. Climber stands, trail cameras, etc. Don't read them if it bothers you.

Nels

Like some one before me stated this might not be the place to pinch penny's but Muzzys have the best value on broad heads. For me I can't get those darn things to fly good for me, I think they fly better with a heavy or weight forward arrows. I shoot NAP Maxxs and True Fires fixed blade I think they're called T-1 3 blades. I am curious to hear if any one try's the Shwackers and give any testimonial.

MR

IM a Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr guy BUT like MR just said your bow has to be set up right.

Not going to get into the mechanical vs fixed argument but I switched for a reason. Im staying with fixed based on experience

Also, I do like Muzzys since you can replace the blades if one gets bent or broken - a cheaper alternative to replacing the whole broadhead. I can understand the wanting to save money. I can also understand to push money aside when making an ethical kill shot on a deer. Fortunately, I think you can have your cake and eat it too as even the cheapest fixed-blades will most certainly do the trick with proper shot placement.

I'm of the firm belief that you could quickly and ethically kill a deer with a spoon glued onto the end of your arrow with proper shot placement. You might not get a pass through, or leave a huge hole some of the manufacturers brag about. But it would do the trick. So should broadheads be sharp? Yes, indeed, but I can't think of any that aren't sharp enough for the job.

Used to shoot Thunderheads and they work well, but last year tried the slick trick's since I couldn't get the thunderheads to tune very well and definitely like the slick tricks but haven't had the chance to shoot a deer with them yet. Good quality and shoot the same as my field points, no adjustments needed at all.

My wife shoots the Muzzy MX3 100 grain and for @ $25 its is a nasty blade.

She punched it through a real mature Doe at 15 yards with a bow pull around 35lbs.

They fly straight and true for her, the blood trail was very easy to follow for the short distance she ran.

Myself I am a fan of the Rage 2 blade, it is at the 39.99 price you are wondering about, if I was ever going to make the change its to the MX3 for me.