• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New suitcase.

PurpleFloyd

I know that the old school suitcase style houses aren't sexy or trendy but for some reason I still like fishing in a portable that has a floor. Last year I commandeered my dad's vintage Mankato Tent and Awning suitcase house and built a sled for it out of downhill skiis and pine boards that is light and easy to pull. But the plywood base is a bit heavy to be honest.

Well, Saturday I took my son to new Ulm to Sportsmans Den for his final gun safety class and while he was in there I looked over the going out of business items and came across a Shappell 3000DX flip over that was marked down to a tick over 150 dollars so I pulled the trigger on it.

I really like the fact that they are made with a molded plastic floor that is carpeted and has the flip up hole covers. I am more than likely in the minority in liking this design but when it is cold out I can sit in there with my feet on the carpet and not the slush and ice and it can also double as a hunting blind.

Bring on the ice.

I used to have an older Clam 5600 suitcase house. It marketed as a 2 man house but with two people it got a little tight so I used it as a 1 man for myself and it worked good. Plenty of space for the heater and electronics and could use both holes. The only down side is that it had a bare poly floor which got slicker than snot when it got wet but having a floor was great nonetheless.

I'm with you on the suitcase-style houses, I was beginning to think I was the only one in the state of MN with that opinion. I have a 1 man suitcase that's about 30 years old (home made)and a new CanvasCraft suitcase with the Thinsulate shell that I bought last year. There's just something I like about having my feet on something other than the ice. I have to believe it's at least a little warmer when I can bank it to keep the wind from getting under it.

Next thing you know, I may see someone with an electric auger wink I have one of the first Electra's made and dread the day it dies.

I'm with you on the suitcase-style houses, I was beginning to think I was the only one in the state of MN with that opinion. I have a 1 man suitcase that's about 30 years old (home made)and a new CanvasCraft suitcase with the Thinsulate shell that I bought last year. There's just something I like about having my feet on something other than the ice. I have to believe it's at least a little warmer when I can bank it to keep the wind from getting under it.

Next thing you know, I may see someone with an electric auger wink I have one of the first Electra's made and dread the day it dies.

I bought a Canvas Craft suitcase type house with the norpac insulation also. I got the 4' X 8' model. the one thing I did was made a beefed up floor for it. I started with 1X3's for the sides where the house hooks on to the floor then used a sheet of 3/4 plywood under that I put 1X3 (the flat way) around the edges, then inside that hollow area under the 3/4" plywood I put 3/4" foam insulation, then to hold the insulation in I put a sheet of 1/4" plywood. total floor thickness is 1 3/4". Because the floor was this thick I was able to add 6 catch covers in the house.

Here is a cross section view of the floor :

full-29971-24387-100_3379.jpg

Here is the inside look at the Catch covers :

full-29971-24388-100_3380.jpg

this house is so warm that once I get the chill out of the air the pilot light from the buddy heater is enough to keep it warm inside the house.

Almost forgot when I ordered the house I had them put in a second door on the other end. they also asked if I wanted blue outer shell instead of the standard black. I don't think they offer the blue anymore.

This is a picture of the sled that I made last year to hold dad's suitcase. It works pretty slick and since I had the Skis given to me it cost very little to make and it makes hauling all of the gear very easy. It pulls easier than a sled for a flipover and if I don't want to set up the house it is the right height that I can sit on the bucket in the sled and fish off of that.

full-35430-24390-sled.jpg

I got the 4x8 model too. After just 1 season of using it, I wish I had ordered another door like you did. I also considered adding 3/4" of insulation to the floor, but finally decided I would wait and try it without for a while to save the weight. So far I don't think I'm going to need the insulation in the floor, although last winter was so warm, it really wasn't much of a test.

PurpleFloyd, the sled you made is almost EXACTLY the same thing I made for hauling my portable! I got the skis for free, so it cost next to nothing to make; just a couple 2x4's, a piece of 1/4" plywood for the box bottom and a 1x8 for the box sides. One person can easily pull it by hand with my 4x8 portable and all my gear on it. I will be interested to see how it pulls in deep snow.

beefing up the floor did add alot of extra weight but I only use this house when I can drive the truck out on the lake. Canvas Craft charged like $45.00 to add the second door. you could carefully pull the shell off the floor and see if they could add the second door before season starts. I would call them and ask if they could do that if you wanted the second door.

I just talked to CanvasCraft and they can add the second door for around $90 assuming I bring the shell into them. Not too bad of a price. Hmmmmmm...

You can customize your house with CanvasCraft! The guys are great to deal with! You do not get the pushy salemen there either!