• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Satellite in Fish House

Nisswaguy

Everytime you switch satellites, you need to run the check switch test. The test verifies which dish and satellite(s) you are acquiring signal from. When you are only able to tune into one satellite at a time with the Winegard dish and Dish Network, you will not receive all of your programming that you receive from your satellite dish at home. Your locals and a few other stations will come off of the 110 satellite. To get your locals, you need to point the dish to 110, complete a check switch test (Menu 6-1-1) and the program guide will then download.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is starting to make me start an on the lake satellite installation business. It would put some money in my pocket and I'd already be on the lake to punch some holes! I have actually completed quite a few service calls on the lake for customers. The corporate technicians and most subcontractors will not take these jobs because of insurance issues.

Lake Docktor...I would gladly pay for your services to fix my issues. I appreciate the help. So the check switch explains my error message when I moved to 110 but will I get local stations when I travel outside my home zip code which I have heard I won't be able to? And if thats the case what type of antenna should I use for over the air channels if that is even an option on the ice?

from what I know about satellite service is that if you have say wcco as a local on your plan, it shouldn't matter if you are on Blackhawk in Eagan or on LOW or even in Alaska, you should still have wcco as a local channel.

Yea,

I get my local channels from the cities when sitting on URL using Directv.

Not sure how the other outfit works.

u leave the state u will not get local channels.

This is false. Dish Network has programming tags set up under all customer accounts. These tags aren't set as locals and they don't follow geographical locations in which the signal is being obtained from, rather the satellite in which the signal is coming from along with the programming associated with that satellite listed on your account. They are merely decribed in their system as for example, Minneapolis. With the Minneapolis tag on your account, any time you lock onto the 110 satellite, you will receive the Minneapolis local channels.

when i was set up in Gillette Wyoming, I could not access the Minneapolis local channels. When I called about it, they said I was too far from that market and I would have to pay for an additional account if I wanted the local stations. I however was able to get all the other channels no problem.

I have worked in the satellite industry for over 8 years. 4 of those were with Dish Network corporate. I have seen just about every imaginable setup and scenario possible. Like I said before, corporate tags are listed on every account dictating the programming the account is authorized to have. Your satellite dish is not broadcasting a geographic signal from where you are located back to the uplink center in Colorado. If this were the case, Dish Network would be able to crack down multiple residences (home/lake cabin) being used under one account. The reason they told you they were available LukerNLeever, is because of course they want you to add another account and pay them money. I'm willing to be there was an equipment or acquiring problem that caused or causes you to have an issue with receiving locals from another market. My uncle ran into the same problem. He was working in Texas and receiving Minneapolis locals until he had an equipment problem. He called customer service and they then flagged his account because the equipment was not at his service address. This also is the reason Dish Network wants your receiver to be connected to a landline phone. Once the phone line is removed, a service flag is issued. This could be why some aren't getting locals outside of their normal residence.

I have had numerous snow bird customers over the years that couldn't get their Arizona/Florida/Texas locals off their guide when they returned back to MN. Again, a call to customer service to add and remove the local market tag fixed the issues. The worst thing you can do while trying to get your Minneapolis locals from another location other than the original service address is to call customer service. You are basically inviting them to shut down your service. Do not let them know that you are moving locations!!!

I pay for 4 units. 2 at home, 1 at cabin, and 1 in my truck. They know I have 1 in my truck. Why would they discount my service when they sell portable dishes. RV's have them and lots of over the truckdrivers. Every once in awhile I lose signal because of inactvity. The they sometimes have to send a signal to me. I've had this unit in my truck with view cube for 10 years and I know what I know about it. Don't need to work for them.

If I get the cheapy 8 buck analog sat finder that has a needle that goes from 1-10 and a db knob is that good enough or should I buy a more expensive one? Thinking about getting a temperamental HD setup for some Gophers Puck whistle

I have a quick question. I have a receiver from a buddy of mine that has been unhook for a couple months. I hooked it up, it downloaded the program guide etc, but I got a message saying something about the smartcard isn't authorized to view the channel. it does it for every channel except 101

what does that mean and how do I rectify it? A call to dish?

thanks for the help, we got it working somewhat. we only get partial channels from what he gets at home with the receiver.

Currently I have my dish sitting on a ground mount in my yard. it is about 50 yards from a treeline, could the trees be in the way of a sattelite allowing all channels to get to the dish?

Here is my tip of the day, in case anyone here is having the problems I was having...

I have a RM-DM61 with the elevation sensor, and had a holy heck of a time getting the thing to work consistently. My problem was the actual Dish Network satellite signal meter when you go into the Menu 6-1-1. I spent hours and hours searching, adjusting, compassing, readjusting, and rarely could actually get it to show signal. It just made absolutely no sense.

Here was my solution. Each time I got it working, I was at an azimuth of roughly 210, and elevation of 34. So on the day that I was prepared to rip the dish off and throw it in the garbage, I set it to 210/34, turned the power on, and decided to let it sit on the "acquiring signal" screen and see what happened. INSTANT success. Since then it takes me less than 30 seconds to crank up the dish, align it, and have it acquiring signal.

if you don't have an account yet, of course you will have to get one. Seeing how you already have the dish you just need a receiver. My reccomendation id to buy one, if you own the equipment the cost of the services you get will be less.

Years ago you could go right into best buy or even walmart and my a dish and receiver. Those days are gone.

You can purchase receivers eith in 3 ways that I know of, i'm sure there maybe be others. I wil share what i know.

First from Directv, hsolist, and from an RV dealer. I bought mine from Camping world in Rogers, MN. I bought just the basic receiver.

when you buy the new receiver you have to call directv and set the account up with the model and serial number. If there is not a Plastic service card with the receiver, they will mail you one. ( looks like a credit card with a chip on it) then you have so many day to call and activate the card.

I have a winguard carry all that i have to set out on the ground or ice or on top of the fish house. I make the connection with the receiver and it automaticly finds the satelite signal. Very Nice.

the set up I use for the fish house I also use for my 5th wheel. hope this helps!

I currently have directv at home and was hoping to get an automatic satellite dish like the VuCube or the tailgater for my ice house. Does directv offer HD through these auto dishes or do I need to go Dish Network and find a buddy that has an account?

What's the best automatic satellite unit? I thought I saw a forum that said the tailgater had some issues after a few years...

Also, some of the options for the automatic dishes come with a receiver. What does dish network charge to activate a receiver you own on an existing account?