• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

870 remington wont lock up w/o shell in chamber

I have an 870 Rem that the extractor seems to tip too far in and the back of it hits the inside of the barrel. Changed out extractor from another 870 I have and still seems to hit once and awhile. Could the barrel be too wore down or what? When ther is a shell in the gun it shuts and locks up fine. But when there is no shell in the gun it hits.

Almost sounds like one of the slide rails is bent.

This would be my guess as well, being sometimes when I forget how to put the thing back together, I have to get mean with it, and this has happened to me from forcing the rail back in after cleaning it. I just took it back apart, and bent the rail straight, re assembled, and it has worked fine for me.

For some reason, I always forget how to reassemble the 870.

I don't think I explianed it well enough.

The bolt will not shut all the ways all the time. It seems to want to wander under the portion of the barrel that tappers down where it should rest on top. The taper portion seems to be slightly worn on the barrel that is causing the issue. I have taken apart the extractor and spring and inspected to make sure no dirt or grime had worked its way into the spring port. Is there a way to fist this or would I have to replace the whole barrel. See pix below, the second pix shows the end of the extractor actually under the barrel lip.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd499/wazlamish112/photo2.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd499/wazlamish112/photo1.jpg