• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opener?

I will be out. I actually am leaving Thursday afternoon. I got laid off a few weeks ago and will take advantage of the time off while I can. I will hang out and scout a little Friday. I will be hunting the Hill City/Remer areas.

tybo, we will have to try to hook up this year! It never seems to work out, but we'll try again! Haha!

I will be out. Leaving for the cabin on Friday afternoon, unless I can't stand it and have to sit for bear again. No matter what, I'll be in the woods pretty much non-stop this weekend!

Good luck you sorry SOBs! Bring a machette and plenty of DEET wink

Seriously though, I hunted opener last weekend and I doubt I'll do that again. Too many little birds and WAY too many leaves.

Mid October trip planned for me. Good thing there are plenty of ducks to occupy my time until then, otherwise I doubt I could handle the anticipation ... grin

We were in the woods of Chisholm this last weekend. Very few bugs if any. The temps should be nice as well. We flushed a few but not as many as last year at this time. The birds all seemed to be hanging around the swamp edges. We flushed more Woodys than grouse though.

No kidding...the leaves were raining down today with EXTREMELY high winds! Sad thing though, the leaves aren't changing in our area because of the changing season. I think they're changing cause of drought.

I'm guessing our colors won't be so vibrant this year as it's just so darn dry. Course' that bodes well for low skeeter counts too! Mosquitoes have been all but totally absent in NW MN this year. It's been awesome for night fishing!

You been seeing any birds up north Matt? Drumming counts were reported way down this year.

Around home here, I'm seeing piles of birds. A lot of them are probably the same birds over and over, but I know there are at least 10 different ones near the bear hunting areas! wink

I haven't been up to the cabin for a long time. Only once this summer I think...

Well that's not so bad. 10 birds are a LOT better than no birds!

Those dogs are going to be priceless in the woods around your home place, now that there's so much downed timber. I'm guessing it's gonna be pretty tough going in a lot of the old haunts?

I think it's best if you just do ALL your bird hunting over here, and call me every time you come over this way!!! laugh

We've got a new black lab, Bones. He's a big dopey 9-month old puppy, but he's got a fire in his belly to run in the woods, and I'm anxious to see how he'll do this fall? Cool thing about this dog...he's extremely loyal. Stays close to me at all times. I really hope he's got the hunting bug, and figures it out this year!

Good luck to you all heading out this weekend. I'm a little jealous I have to admit. Got a Community Celebration, and my mother's birthday that always land on Grouse Opener, so I'm afraid I won't make it up again this year. Probably not until the last weekend of September. Can't wait to hear how everybody does!!!

You would be in trouble. I jump shoot beaver ponds for woodies frequently, and grouse hunt my way to and from the ponds. I carry 7 steel with me for the grouse, but have also taken then with 2, 3, and 4 steel on my way to the pond. The 7 steel also makes a great swatter load for cripples.

I always have different loads in my truck, and I don't think you'd be in trouble. I head up to the hunting land with steel, lead, rifle loads, rimfire, muzzy stuff... the nine. No CO has ever had issues with me carrying steel and lead, and hunting ducks and grouse the same day...