• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fence line hunting

Is this thread going anywhere? Not that I don't appreciate what's being shared, but honestly?

Walleyehunter...it's a conversation you need to have with your neighbors. Just say NO to Minnesota Nice, and tell them how you feel. It's not only a preference issue, it's also a safety issue.

As was stated earlier, have the discussion, and come to some kind of agreement on boundaries. 100, 150, 200 yds. each for distance from the property line? For Safety reasons.

Strategies or ideas for chasing them away are foolish and sophomoric. They have land, you have land. You share a property line. You need to talk to them and come to some common ground. Be respectful and work it out.

Strategies or ideas for chasing them away are foolish and sophomoric. They have land, you have land. You share a property line. You need to talk to them and come to some common ground. Be respectful and work it out.

Best words of advice in this entire thread.......Please keep the conversation on track

I guess i have a question about your stand placement. According to the DNR HSOforum you have to be 500 feet away from any building occupied by humans or livestock to legally hunt unless its on your property or you have written permission of neighboring land owners.

If your stand is 75 yards from the property line and the neighbors home/deck is right on the line then thats only 225-250 feet from your stand to your neighbors home. Unless you have their written permission you are breaking the law if you were to hunt from your stand. In that case I don't think I'd worry so much about where they are hunting and instead worry about what they think about your hunting spot since they would be legal and you would not be.

That rule does not apply to improvements on adjoining land. It is applied as to persons on the parcel of land that the building/etc. is actually located on. In this case, Jay______'s stand, and his ability to hunt on his own land, is subject only to his own permission to hunt within "X" number of feet from his own buildings. Now, if his neighbor came and hunted on Jay's land, the neighbor would need permission to hunt within that distance of Jay's home.

Interesting. I've never heard that distinction made before. I've looked into it in regards to taking a deer on a small property where we stay when we hunt. We hunt public land but have seen a few deer on the 2-3 acre property were we stay at and we were told we were too close to other houses (500 foot rule was cited)to shoot any of the deer we see on the property. We were told we'd need written permission by anyone who owned a house within 500 feet which would be 2 different people.

In the northwoods: thanks for sarcastic clarification, your entitled to your opinion however misguided it is, clearly you must be one of the inconsiderate people that do hunt and fish with little to no regard for your surroundings or fellow outdoorsmen, as long as its ok for you. I'm not trying to tell anybody where to hunt, to me its respectful, or just common sence not to intentionally hunt close to another hunter anywhere (why would ya, hard to not spook deer yourself let a lone worry about noise etc from another person ) but I realize not everybody is like that, case in point! You have no clue on the deer movement based on the lack of first hand knowledge you have, to clarify I can assure you the deer didn't start bedding on their mowed back yard when they have 30 acres going the other way of thick woods and swamp (they know the plot is there and take advantage of it bottom line) . I built a permanent stand as far away from the line middle of the back half of my property but its only 10 acres and maybe 75 yds from line. I did this all knowing they didn't hunt anywhere around me not only for my sake but courtesy to them. Then they started hunting feet kicked back on there deck the next year half hung over moving around a ton wrecking it for us both. Initialy my only argument was agreeing with this topic that it does suck having people intentionally hunt so close to another I REALIZE they CAN and its legal so you guys can all stop saying its their land they can do what they want I GET THAT! It's just IMO LOW CLASS school yard dump to do it. As far as hunting on their land and giving up my stand....really why would I have built a really nice warm stand to let somebody else use it if I'm up there to hunt, not sure if that was sarcastic comment or not?

Bottom line Its a matter of opinion clearly people will always be on opposing lines (pardon the pun), its not illegal and I have to just live with it , doesn't mean its right or I need to like it. I would be curious to see the people saying deal with it what do I expect etc etc, how well you really would and if you would think to yourself, oh how nice it is Billy Bob hunting next to me making noise, its his land good for him... I doubt it, always easier to judge given situation from an arm chair!

Jay, I think you are the one that is misguided in this situation. My point is simple - Don't worry so much about what other people are doing; if you want more space, find it or buy it. In Minnesota, where 40 acres is a "large" parcel to some people, these issues have been, still are, and always will be present. The problem is, if you hunt in the center of a 40 acre parcel, you'll never be more than 220 yards (i.e. common gun range) of any of your four property lines.

I suggest you substitute your own name for my name in your posts, re-read them, and tell me how "I" would not be the one that is being unreasonable. Each of your posts is suggesting that the neighbors not do what you yourself expect to be able to freely do. Hunt within bow range of the property line; use ALL of your property; etc. I mean, you did build a permanent stand within shooting range of your neighbors deck?

In the end, I'm guessing your belief that I'm inconsiderate based on my posts is because you simply don't like the hard truth(s) that I've placed in front of you, as much as it is because you know nothing about me. Truth of the matter is, I am living the same situation as you, but I've realized over the years that it is far more productive to worry about you can control, and to enjoy the opportunity hunt, rather than to worry about what the neighbors are legally doing on their own land. And if you don't like how you are situated, make the sacrifices necessary to put yourself in the position you want to be in rather than expect others to modify their legal behaviors to suit your wishes.

to me its respectful, or just common sence not to intentionally hunt close to another hunter anywhere

maybe 75 yds from line.

jay I hate to pile on but you seem to hold your neighbors to a standard you don't hold yourself. You built your stand 75 yards form the property line and still harp on them for hunting too close. Did it every occur to you that building that stand so close to the line might have urked your neighbors to begin with? Just because they didn't hunt that corner before doesn't mean the don't have a right to hunt it now. Plus you did them a favor and put in a food plot making that corner a better hunting spot. That have every right to take advantage of it.

If you want some solid hunting advice I drop a bunch of trees on the property line and a bunch more on the other side of your food plot. Create some cover for you and the deer and make some great bedding areas. If you can offer better bedding cover and food on your property the deer have little reason to bed on the neighbors land and your hunting might get better.

Thanks for the insight... Nobody but me is upset they had/have no issue with the stand and unless I built it on a pond or on my deck or cut down trees this was only place to put it. And again it didn't doesn't effect the deer people on the other side of them ( there are cabins and separate 10 acre parcels all connected all along the area) all get deer they are choosing to hunt on deck cuz easy. They would gave better success elsewhere, I'm not holding separate standards the deck is behind to left of my stand I don't have a window to shoot out unless I held gun out window and half my body. And they didn't hunt there or are only up to hunt and during peak hunting hours were out hunting on other area so no movement on deck. And I wouldn't expect them not to use deck if not hunting etc .

Walleyehunter, i have a similar problem. Ive had my treestand in the same spot, just off our fenceline, for 10 years. All of a sudden one year a treestand apears on the neighbors property no more than 30 yards from mine.

Walleyehunter80, you say this is the same problem you are having?

You are upset that your neighbor his hunting his land on the fence, just like you?

Do you know what being a hypocrite is?

Walleyehunter80, you say this is the same problem you are having?

You are upset that your neighbor his hunting his land on the fence, just like you?

Do you know what being a hypocrite is?

No. And you are wrong for even suggesting this. Don't you realize the "no fence line hunting" rule only applies to every-other-parcel of land. You have to go to the plat book, and starting from the western line of every Township, you go every-other-parcel to determine who can rightfully hunt along the property line. It is a basic principle, I don't get how everyone doesn't grasp it.

I'm sorry for my sarcasm. I just can't help it. I get goofy reading complaints about how neighbors are legally using the land the neighbors own. I wonder if they tell their neighbors when to cut their grass, how high to cut it, etc.

Lmao! Seriously I can't believe how some of you are hammering some of us for just expecting common courtesy... Id say we would all or most hunters would agree nobody wants to hunt right next to another hunter, that being said if somebody has an established stand and somebody moves in and hunts next to it knowing its being used at that time thats not a positive thing or respecting that hunter. How is not wanting that or being irritated by that cause for some of these comments and sarcasm or being called a hypocrite? If they were there first we (I) would not hunt there and go elsewhere just like I would expect a little space given me. We all get its their right and we live free and can do that ya da da da da! It's not about legal illegal what we can or can't do its about common courtesy, if sombodys fat and I say hey your a fat its not illegal but its not the right thing to do or nice but its the truth and one of my rights to say (freedom of speech and all) so thats ok? NO! I think you guys are missing the point and the hypocrites because no way you wouldn't be P-off regardless of being on public or state land if your set up and another hunter sits 30 yds away making noise etc. Give me a break, be honest knock off the its their rights stuff. I don't get it I read so much about ethics, safety and doing right thing on this site why does this subject differ or not deserve courtesy. If someone is in a spot FIRST respect it go elsewhere... Help me understand why thats so outrageous to expect?

I see both sides of this. If it's public land, obviously I think somebody's a jerk if they come & sit really close to you, because it's not either one of your land more than the other, first come first served. A reasonable distance of 100 yards at least should be expected.

It's hard for me to truly visualize your actual situation. I agree I wouldn't probably be happy they decided to now sit close to me. I would probably complain about it. All that being said I have guys sitting on or near the fencelines across from me during gun season on a couple sides every year. Between my own party & neighbors I can at times see as many as 5 or 6 other hunters in their stands from my stand. I also know friends who've had neighbors talk to them & tell them, hey move your stand, you're cutting deer off from me. No, I don't think so. Again everybody's just sitting in the best spot for them to kill a deer or the one they like best on their own property. If they really are cutting off deer, I'd say they're in the right spot. It sucks, but it has to be okay.

You keep missing the point and clearly won't or can't get it sooooo....I'm done trying to explain to you ill just agree to disagree in this case, your entitled to your opinion as am I. In closing member control what you can control, just remember if somebody won't move over or cuts you off causing you to miss your exit on your way home today or takes a parking space your waiting for with your blinker on, remember its ok its his/her right to be there as much as yours.

I get why you are upset, I do.

Here is my thinking... You can not "claim" a spot on public, first come and all that. Likewise you cannot "claim"a a spot across property lines.

Maybe that guy is thinking "I'm sick of that jerk sitting on my property line."

I wish you the best with your delema.

Just remember that at some point a wounded deer might cross that line. What will you do and what will the neighbor do? I would be more worried about that scenario.

You keep missing the point and clearly won't or can't get it sooooo....I'm done trying to explain to you ill just agree to disagree in this case, your entitled to your opinion as am I. In closing member control what you can control, just remember if somebody won't move over or cuts you off causing you to miss your exit on your way home today or takes a parking space your waiting for with your blinker on, remember its ok its his/her right to be there as much as yours.

I guess I just don't see this has anything to do with courtesy. Since you want to hunt your small parcel of land you expect the neighbor to be "courteous" and not hunt his land as he see's fit?

The fact of the matter is you are hunting on a very small parcel and are bound to have issues being that close to a neighbors house. What if the neighbors weren't hunters and wanted to have a party out on their deck during firearm season? would you think they are being rude for disrupting your hunt? What if they had kids who wanted to go out and play in the yard during your hunt, is that rude? What if they just wanted to hang on the deck and listen to some music?

Your hunt isn't any more or less important than any of the possible things your neighbors may want to do on their deck/yard. Building a stand that close you should have expected any number of these issues and none of them to me amounts to your neighbors being rude or inconsiderate.

Like I said earlier I don't expect them to not use the deck, your right I put it there knowing the cabin was there (didn't expect them to change and hunt off it however) just my opinion hunting there to play off my plot or cuz to lazy to go to other spots they used past 10 years is inconsiderate knowing they are spooking deer cutting me off knowing I'm hunting at the time. apparently I'm just more considerate it sounds like than the average bear. Lesson learned, let's be cut throat just get our own in life I guess and don't consider others.

What if, what if the neighbors weren't hunting there to be considerate to you. Having a little no-hunting zone near the homes to maybe see a few more deer during the non-hunting days. How inconsiderate of you to mess up this little sanctuary. Don't be so lazy and find some other place to hunt.