• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice house removal?

Dunnyboy

This may seem like a funny question this time of year but I was wondering what methods you guys use to remove a permanent from the ice? I am making a Perm/Portable and I was wondering how strong to make the part sitting on the ice. What problems have you run into? What tools and techniques work well? My house is a converted plastic shed 4x6 with a wood floor. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Head over to the Ice fishing forum, and browse through past discussions. You will find a lot of useful info. Most perm houses have either white oak skids, or steel skids. Mine has steel. The house is pulled by a big pickup. I would recommend having no part of your ice house actually sit on the ice. We use 2x4s to block up the Skids a few inches. This way the 2x4s melt into the ice, but the skids do not.

My spear Shack floor is made out of 2x2's and I've never had any problems. I use a railroad jack to lift mine up.

I needed pontoons on it last winter to float it a couple times.

MJ's is built really well if you do the framing right 2x2 floors hold up really well and it helps spearing with the house being low to the ice you can see a lot more plus it is easy to bank in and keep the wind and light out.

This may seem like a funny question this time of year but I was wondering what methods you guys use to remove a permanent from the ice? I am making a Perm/Portable and I was wondering how strong to make the part sitting on the ice. What problems have you run into? What tools and techniques work well? My house is a converted plastic shed 4x6 with a wood floor. Any thoughts or suggestions?

If your house is very light you have less chance of it sinking into the ice. (More chance of it blowing away but there are other things to do to take care of that problem)

No mater what you decide... keep it light.