• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

whats going on!

JPmunson

Im not an authority on pike fishing, but with water temps in the low t mid 70's Im thinking the big ones are still deep. We have only caught mid 20's so far. Im waiting for the temps to drop. Hopefully someone that really knows gives the their 2 cents.

They were not biting at all yeaterday, I had my worst day in a long time, 0 Northerns for 4 hours of fishing. I caught plenty of bass, but the pike seem pretty lazy. Friends in another boat, caught up to me and quickly corrected me and let me know that northerns are the easiest fish to catch, and real fisherman catch walleye. Screw that, I might as well hook a sock onto my line, it fights just as hard. Anyone who thinks northerns are easier to catch than bass is a wanabee IMO, they oviously dont fish, otherwise they would think differently.

And thats my daily rant. blush

And for advice for brainerd, I would speed it up. Choose lures that run good at high speeds, and troll 5+ mph. According to the fish finder, there are alot of fish on the weed line, so you will probably only be in 10-12' of water. A super shad rap is what I would use.

I agree with sled59 - I'd be running lures slower and deeper right now, they are still in the warm water mode...once it cools off a bit then speed it up and go shallower.

Lol @ the sock comment...you must have a hard time with the eyes? Everyone does now and then...but when you find them it's a very rewarding feeling.

I agree with sled59 - I'd be running lures slower and deeper right now, they are still in the warm water mode...once it cools off a bit then speed it up and go shallower.

Lol @ the sock comment...you must have a hard time with the eyes? Everyone does now and then...but when you find them it's a very rewarding feeling.

I can't remember the last time I caught a walleye around here. blush I just say that they fight like a sock to keep the "semi-pro's" off my back. There are some kids that think they know all about fishing, but all they know is from the comercials from tv; try to look like pros, fish like pros, but know nothing (we all know some people like this). They also claim to have been fishing longer than me (I'm older and fished my whole life). They also beleive northern pike are much easier to catch than bass. No offense bass fisherman, but bass are the second easiest fish to catch next to sunfish. The challange in bass fishing is finding lots of big ones, where pike fishing is like walleye fishing; finding any fish at all can be tough. The argument the other day was about trolling speed. I don't know about you but I let the fish decide what they want. This kid was telling me just a bunch of junk, "fish wont hit anything over 4 mph", "you need to be withing 1' of the bottom", etc. You know what caught fish that day? Both a firetiger inline spinner, and a firetiger 6" jake, trolled in 12' of water at 8 mph, nothing hit at slower speeds. I guess I'm wrong grin

I was wondering where would you find pike at this time of the year and what lure should I use to hit em.

Now that the water is cooling off, bigger pike should start to become active. I had a tough summer getting the big ones that seem to hug the bottom like a walleye, they just wouldn't eat. It kind of goes with my grandpas saying of "if you see them, they aren't hungry". The weeds have died down now so some shallow water baits can be used again, spoons are great, as well as spinners, and jerk baits. It seems recently with all species, constantly changing it up is what causes bites. Rotate between 4-5 types of lures ever couple of casts. If you have a sharp weedline, usually about 10-12', let your lure just fall at the edge When trolling, I did real good constantly going 3-4 mph for a minute or two, and then gunning it for a few seconds..

Wouldn't call it a "monster" but my brother-in-law caught a very decent pike (maybe 30 inches) in 30ft of water while we were fishing walleyes with Lindy Rigs. It was a slot lake and the fish was well within it so we didn't waste time getting it back in the water. That guy was still deep, but I think the fish are a bit confused with the cold weather and then a few days in the 70s. Didn't do a lot of targeting pike specifically but the walleyes were anywhere from 35ft to 13ft. I think fish in-general are in transition so I'd expect to see the bigger pike shallow soon, a few are probably already there.