• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drawing a bow technique Help

Boar

My daughter recently got here first bow(Thanks matchset) an I piked up a wrist sling a new release. We were adjusting the tension on the trigger an man did I have to back out the nuts or here to complete the draw. I know shes gonna have to build muscles shes neverd used before or very little but, Ive backed the nuts out to the point where it just seems to much. Iguesse Ive always powerd thru the draw an maybe havent used proped teqnique an dont want her to form bad habits. She 's a stock girl an strong but when I draw it, I'm thinkin really? u cantdraw that back? Wat proper teqniques can you give for youth draw on a bow.

Boar, your just gonna have to build her up to it.

I would bring the bow in to a shop and have them turn it down as far as it will safely go.

If that doesn't work, your gonna have to get a lighter bow (or lighter limbs if available).

No real good short cut around it. If she has a hard time drawing, she will have even a harder time shooting, and likely develope bad form along with target panic..........

I used to draw 72#'s. Why??...........because my friends did...........

Couldn't hold it back as long as I would like, and I suffered from the above afflictions.

Now I pull about 59#. I can pull it all day long and hold it back forever. Hell, I could draw it back laying down in bed!!

And it will pass through a black bear all day long with a mid-heavy arrow weight smile

Way too many archers are over-bowed, and pay the toll.........

Hope this helps!!

Yes it dose, we actually got out an she was able to draw each time for a half dozen shots. time an work. No doubt shell have to work into it. its a 60 lb bow Im sure she can do it, just patience an work. Thanks B.

I'm quite a novice at shooting, WANT to shoot over 50lbs, but am crapped out and can't complete a draw after a handful of shots @52lbs.

Had the bow tuned town to a bit over 40lbs, and I'm able to shoot all day with much better form and concentrate on making my shots. I might not shoot as flat or with as much KE on impact at longer distances, but with practice I've been able to make myself accurate AND precise at 30 yards.

In the meantime I've been hitting the gym since March, and am incorporating free weights (which I mostly ignored for a long time), and I can already tell a difference. Who knows, I may be up to shooting 55lbs+ next year.

I have had 3 shoulder surgeries on each shoulder, and could barely pull back 48#. Now I can pull it back all day long, and I moved it up to 52#, and I have no need to go higher then that. Start low and move your way up. The Mathew Missions is a good bow for youngsters, it will adjust down to about 15# and go up to 70#. It also has a draw length adjustment from like 20 inches to 33 inches. They sell a complete kit for about $260.

60 lbs sounds like too much for just about any beginner, let alone your teenage daughter.

If she can pull it back a handful of times then you've got a good start. Make sure she is drawing the bow with both arms rather than straightening her front arm then trying to pull back. If she can combine the push and pull at the same time it will help her combine the strength of both arms.

Have her try sitting down when she is drawing. My 10yr old daughter does better while sitting. It also helps her focus on her shooting posture.

Thanks guys, she's getting it, it certainly isnt at full poundage, I cranked it down quite a bit. she just put 3 arrown in ther target with in a paper plate, then i adjusted the site, an cranked it up a turn an she put three more in the target. but I cranked it back down again. just wanted to see how'd that affect her. We'll keep it there for awhile. She forgets to look thru the peep from time to tiem, an I have to remind her to bend the elbow slightly an open her hand, but it will all come together. SHe wants a bear next year with it, so she has a goal.Thanks guys keep any tips comeing, it really helps.

Yea last night we where shooting an shed chucked 3 arrows an kinda just left it alone I'm worried that she will grow tired am not have fun shooting as shes seems to struggle but i'll have some pep talks with her. Just dont think she should go to a youth bow. I dont know, I'll give it more time yet. Thanks guys

If she is forgetting to use the peep, then it may not be in the right spot. I would try to have her focus on the step by step of the draw cycle. Its all about baby steps in the beginning. I know she knows how to shoot and she is old enough that she should understand learning the basics.

When teaching a new person, I have them shoot a few arrows so they get the feel of the bow and its draw cycle. THen I slow them down and have them draw back and just hold the bow at full draw. I want to see that the draw length is correct, that they have a good anchor point and that the peep is in the right spot. If they get tired let them shoot it.

I have them do that a couple of time to make sure they repeat it the same every time. I have them draw back with their eyes closed and set their anchor. When they open their eyes they should be able to see through the peep. Make sure the anchor is the same and that they get the string to the corner of their mouth and they touch their nose to the string and they can still see through the peep. If not, adjust it. She should be able to frame the "peep circle" on the "sight ring circle" so they match.

Draw cycle and anchor is the key. Focus on form details like arm and bow hand last. Those are the fine details.

Try to get her use to back muscles more than her arms, not only it will help during the draw but you can hold the bow back alot longer using your stronger back muscles than your arms.

Have her try to squeeze her shoulder blades together to get use to it.