• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strasburg shut down

Scott M

I understand why, but the Nats may never be in a position like this again. How can you not let the guy take the hill in the playoffs? Totally mismanaged by the franchise, they could have handled it better, scratched a few starts, took him out early in games, etc. if they were this concerned.

From what I have read about it they were starting to see him loose command of his pitches and he didn't have the edge he had earlier in the season so they could see him wearing down. So I understand it but also wondered why they didn't go with a 6 man rotation over the last month or two to get him a few extra starts. It would also give everyone in the rotation more rest. THe only down side is they'd have to adjust their off day activities.

Next week is championship week for my fantasy baseball league and hes on my team....needless to say i wasnt happy seeing this. I can see letting him rest a few weeks before the playoffs but if they really keep him out the entire playoffs and if they exit early heads will roll

Why even have the guy on your team if your that worried about it? This is WHY you play the games... to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS! The Nats might as well trade him away, there is no reason to have him if you shut him down in the PLAYOFFS because of an injury that may or may not occur. Idiotic in my opinion.... they may not make the playoffs again for 20+ yrs.... Good luck nattys

They shut him down because he's coming off of tommy john surgery, not because they are worried about a new injury. A lot of teams will restrict a pitcher the first year he comes back from a major injury but usually the first year back a pitcher is pretty shaky so no one pays attention to him being limited. This is a unique case where its a star pitcher who has come back and come back strong. Next season he'll likely be off any sort of restriction.

My issue with it is that they knew the entire year that he'd be limited on innings. You could have planned for that back in April by either not pitching him until sometime in May or you could have been skipping a few starts for him throughout the season or you could have gone with a 6 man rotation for part of the year. There are so many ways they could have adjusted their plan to make sure they had him around for the playoffs.

Nobody expected the nats to be the best team in the league at this point in the year either. I think when you become a legitimate world series contender, you have to throw your restriction plans out the window!

If you ask all the baseball players if they'd rather play 15 years with no ring, or 2 with a ring, I'm guessing most will want the ring!