• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spirit Lake/West Okoboji Fishing reports by Paul’s Fishing Guide Service

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I didn't head over. Sounds like its been pretty slow. My guess is next week fishing should start to pick up. More stable temps. Going fishing for 4 days in NE Iowa for some trout this weekend. The boat will be hooked up next week when I get back and I will be westward bound. Hopefully our dock will be in by then. I was over there last Sunday-Wed and they were throwing in docks in gail force winds and a little snow even. Them dock companys sure have some dedicated folks working for them. I was cold just watching them.

Yes all our fish came on crankbaits trolling. Fish are scattered and no sure bait of choice yet. #5 raps and flicker shad are alway good producers. Don't be afraid to go shallow at night....

how fast? Hit spirt today from 12-4:30. trolled cranks, spinners with leeches, minnow, & worms. went from 8ft to 20ft never got a bite. went from trolling 0.8-2.5 mph. Nothing worked.

I haven't been to IGL's yet so I can't help much. It does sound like the Walleyes are starting to pick up on Spirit. I would talk with Kabeles, Stan's or Schucks they can put you on the most active bite. I'm going over that way soon and plan to spend a few days on the water. I'll post my results when I get home.

Ice is building fast! People have been on Spirit at the Grade and on Upper Gar. I haven't been out on these waters yet but from the sounds of things there has been some fish caught. The ice is 2 to 4 inches on most of the lakes. Please use a spud bar when walking out on new ice. Safety is more important than catching fish.

Ok, does this seem like a more "normal" winter down there so far? If so, could we be looking at a late March/early April ice out or do you need a nicer winter for that? Just wondering because I am really getting the open water itch and would not be afraid to pull the boat out a month early. Thanks.

Ice was getting pretty soft yesterday and the wind is blowing today. There was around 12-15 inches where I was yesterday and the top half of that wasn't very solid. I would guess a couple of weeks would be a reasonable time for ice out based on what I saw yesterday.

Nice. Good luck and thanks for the update. I do need to find a place on West 'boji that has docks in early with power to them. The last place didn't and I got tired of toting batteries from the boat to the cabin and back. I see next year 'eye season doesn't start until 5/7. Even places that don't open until 5/1 would still give me almost a week b/4 that. That's a winner.

I don't know if you know but if you google Okoboji web cams you will find the West Oaks cams. They look toward Hwy 71 the northwest from West Oaks which is across from the bars in Arnolds Park. It is a good site to check the lake from work...lol. I stay there every year the week of opener. Last year I had the room that has the cams mounted above the deck overlooking the lake. I don't use the lifts on the dock because I usually trailer to Spirit and they charge too much for a lift. PM me if you have a report or need info.