• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spirit Lake/West Okoboji Fishing reports by Paul’s Fishing Guide Service

The IGL's Bite is starting to heat up. The water is warming up fast and the fish are starting to chew. North shore on Spirit has has been the best for me. Pull cranks along the docks at sundown for the best luck. Its also time to run bobbers and a leech at sunset too!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The day bite on Spirit is getting better and better every day. Smallmouth bass are being caught on the rocks and the walleyes are moving shallow at low light hours. Walleyes can be caught during the day on live bait rigs or pulling cranks. Natural colors have been best during this time.

Coming down for a week at Spirit 7/20-27. What's the norm for LMB, SMB, and Whites that time of year? Will concentrate on SMB if at all possible. Family may want a fish fry one night so, may have to go after 'Eyes and pannies a couple of times. May try giving Muskies a shot a morning or two. Don't need spots, just generalities. Thanks.

I'll be out over the weekend. If I was going to fish S.M. I would start on the rocks with jigs or x rap. I'm going to fish Walleyes because the bite has really picked up. I'll be pulling spinners or running corks. Both of these techniques will produce both eyes and bass.

Thanks guys. I found a map of spirit Lake on line. It showed the channel in/out of Angler Bay to have some rocks. Also shows a rock pile in the northern part of Angler's, over on the west side, and along the SE shore. Would these be relatively accurate? Does anyone know if I pick up the Navionics app for my iphone, would that help more? Thanks again.

yes that app works great. The north end has been good for me but I think most any stretch of shoreline is good right now. Don't be afraid to run baits over top of the weeds this seems to work well during this time of the year. You will get a nice mixed bag.

Oh, don't worry about me not going through weeds. I'm freaking ADDICTED to frog fishing and I have about 75 various spinnerbaits. How is the Spook topwater action in mid-late July usually? Is it dawn/dusk only or can you go a little longer? My usual M.O. is Spooks over rock piles/weed edges early in the AM, then Frogs and docks during the day. Back to Spooks, swimjigs, spinnerbaits, etc. in the PM. Not a worm or Carolina rig fan. Finally, does the Navionics app show rock piles like the pdf map I have? Thanks again.

The weeds will hold good fish all summer. If your looking for eyes try the rocks early and late in the day.

I like to troll at about 1-1.5mph

Pulling cranks at 2-3mph will also work.

spinner baits are a good and you will catch bass, pike, and walleye

Nav. has some good maps.

Heading down in 10 days. The app looks excellent. A lot of information. Looks like a little cold front coming through on the 23rd-24th. How do the fish react to weather changes in Spirit Lake? Thanks guys, looking forward to it.

Heading down Saturday. Anyone doing any bass fishing? Picking up a Walleye or two? If I want to try and pop a Muskie, should I work point edges? Weed edges? I do have one broomhandle with a nice Abu on it. Probably will just put on my biggest topwater and let 'er rip. Thanks.

Sorry, just thought of this. Is there anywhere on the lake I might muck up the lower unit? I see the south side of the channel into Angler's Bay looks like it may be dicey. I won't be going WOT close to the shore, but I was wondering if there are any sudden surprises out in the middle that aren't on the Navionics app. Thanks again.

Sorry, just thought of this. Is there anywhere on the lake I might muck up the lower unit? I see the south side of the channel into Angler's Bay looks like it may be dicey. I won't be going WOT close to the shore, but I was wondering if there are any sudden surprises out in the middle that aren't on the Navionics app. Thanks again.

Stoney and Little Stoney are all I would be carefull of they are both marked by hazard bouys, by law you cant be above no wake speed untill 300' away from any shorline....

Thanks Esox. They weren't listed on Navonics but I found a map with them on the Interweb. Also, it looks like there is a boat ramp fairly close to where we are staying. Also, good to know about the 300' rule. Thanks again.

Slow start to the trip. Out from 6:00am-9:30am this morning. One LMB that would not of measured. No other hits. Did find a rock out crop by accident (running the TM so no damage. Will hit that spot a little more stealthily tomorrow AM.

Tough lake to figure out in a week. Never made it to the southern portion of the lake. Averaged about two bass/day. Though did get four on Wednesday afternoon. All LMB were between 14.5 and 14.75 inches. Found it odd that there were no dock fish (and I hit a bunch) or a lot more in the bulrushes. Did have a fish with teeth hit one of my lipless cranks (line suddenly felt mushy and there was no more lure on my line.). Got the kids out tubing a few times. Did not get out today. Hopefully I can get the boat out today (25mph winds blowing right into the boat hoist). The resort is nice and the staff are great.

I've been catching my bass on spinner baits or slip bobber and a leech. Thats been on west. I haven't been on spirit in a while so I can't tell ya what its been like. If you hit the points and keep on the move you'll find some good fish.