• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spirit Lake/West Okoboji Fishing reports by Paul’s Fishing Guide Service

Hi I'm Kevan Paul and I run Paul's Fishing Guide Service in the North Iowa Area. I'm going to be giving weekly Fishing Reports right here on this forum for Spirit Lake / West Lake Okoboji. You will be able to find weekly reports and tips for the Open Water or Ice Fishing season.

Spirit Lake - This bite should start to heat up real soon. This cold front is going to help turn things around and start putting fish in the fall patterns. Walleyes can still be caught but it has been a evening and after dark bite. Last season I had real good luck in Oct. so I'm waiting patiently for that time to arrive. Hair jigs and Ripple Shads are my go to baits for fall Walleyes.

West has been great. Every time I fish it I'm surprised by the number of fish in that lake. The best kept secret on West is to run a underwater Camera. I'll drift or drive at about 3-5 mph and check out different spots that have good structure. You can't believe how many fish are in this fishery. The super clear water makes this tactic a blast. My last trip on West was great we caught 1/2 dozen Walleyes pulling Perch colored cranks and 30 plus pan fish jigging in the weeds. When I was pulling cranks I worked 13-17 ft. If you get any shallower then 13 or 14 ft you will find a lot of weed growth. So troll the edge and run your baits 2-4 ft off the bottom. Don't be afraid to pull cranks over the weeds. During this time of the year they are loaded with Walleyes, Bass, Pike, and some of the biggest Blue Gills you will ever see.

I hope you enjoy my reports and if you ever have any questions please ask.

Fall Crappies

33c90xs.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with Kabeles bait shop today and they said there was a Walleye Tournament (pig lift) on Spirit and they had pretty good results. The big fish was over 27" and they had a couple 25" with many slots and keepers. It sounds like all the fish came on Cranks. I like to troll Perch Flicker Shads along the weeds at about 2.3 mph. I'll have a first hand experience this coming weekend so I hope I have some sold info for you.

We fished West O. all weekend and the bite was ok. We caught gills, crappie, pike and 1-19" large mouth. Most of the fish came on a Schucks Jigger.(Green and Gold) with Belgium worms. The worm must be hooked wacky style. Most of the fish came out of 15-20 ft of water. We used a Vexilar Camera to find the larger fish. The camera also helped me locate rock piles for this winter!!!! smile

A bleach water solution is what I've been using. I like to pour it in the bottom of the boat and also a little in the live well. I also like to give it a quick wash. I also give it a quick inspection before leaving the ramp.

For everybody out there this is a serious deal make sure you do the right thing!! Take care of your lakes and they will take care of you.

Check out the link

http://www.ehow.com/how_5962251_prevent-spread-zebra-mussels.html

Fishing on Spirit has been picking up. The Walleyes are being caught on Cranks during the day and Ripple shades or hair jigs at dusk. When your fishing during the day most of the fish are coming out of the basin.

At dusk work the footbridge or any of the shallow rock points.

Fished Spirit and west over the weekend. I feel Spirit has started to heat up. The fish are going good in the am and pm. Work the shallow areas with a ripple shad or bobber and a minnow. I would start at the foot bridge and work your way to the south. The fish have been biting in 3-5 fow.

These are really nice reports! Will you continue you to post during ice season? I tend to head down there during the hardwater season as I live in the SW corner of MN. I don't know much about the area but I love fishing it because of all the fish you can get on. Great lake system.

Yes for sure!!!! I hope to be posting more and more as the season rolls on. If you ever have any questions please ask!!

Kabeles Trading Post is having a shop with the pros day on Nov 17 10am-5pm in Spirit Lake. There will be many Pro's doing seminars and Product demonstrations that day. If your looking to better your knowledge about the Iowa Great Lakes this is your chance.

Kevan,

Hope to see you out there 7/20-27/13. Will be down on Spirit Lake for a family reunion (wife's side, so I'm pretty much freed up that week). Will be staying at a resort in Angler's Bay. How is the Smallmouth fishing in that bay? Do I have a shot at a Musky fishing in there? Not looking for GPS coordinates, just a general feel for that part of the lake. Mostly fishing for Bass (LMB, SMB, Whites) but planning on a couple of segments looking for Musky. Thanks.

That sounds like a fun week. What i would say is ask me this same question around the 1 st week of next July. Alot will change between this year and next. There is a good chance at a musky in the bay. That bay is filled with solid weed growth and plenty of food. Also the bass fishing is great back in the bay expescially large mouth. If you're looking for smallmouth I would fish Stony Point in Cottonwood point they always hold a fair number of good smallies.

Sounds like things are starting to slow down. Now its time to wait for first ice. This is a great time to take the boat out and look for winter locations. Its also a great time to take a underwater camera and look for fish. Those fish will hold up in the same locations during first ice.

From the sounds of things there was a little ice up in anglers bay today. They have been getting a few Crappie and gills. I haven't been up on the ice yet but it sounds like it's 2-3 inches. I'll be up in that area over the next couple of days. I'll post another report soon.