• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clear Lake Fishing reports by Paul’s Fishing Guide

Hi I'm Kevan Paul and I run Paul's Fishing Guide Service in the North Iowa Area. I'm going to be giving weekly Fishing Reports right here on this forum for the Clear Lake Area. You will be able to find weekly reports and tips for the Open Water or Ice Fishing season.

Yellow Bass on Clear Lake were on fire last week but with the Cold front and high winds they have slowed down. Earlier this week we caught over 300 Yellows in 12 hours of fishing. The key to success on Clear is that you keep on the move. I found most of the fish in the little lake and along North Shore. If you go south 200 yards from the state dock you should find a good school of fish. When I fish this area I will cast with a tiny jig and cut bait or a Ripple Shad. Once you find them its HAMMER TIME! Fish Fast! If you stop fishing they will move and then you will need to go looking. In the little lake spend some time looking for shallow humps out in the middle. You should be able to find 5ft humps surrounded by 8-12ft. That is where you will find good schools of Yellows and even a few Crappies.

I hope everybody enjoys my reports and if you ever have any questions please ask.

59yjr9.jpg This was Sunday..

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Ice is a great time to fish for the Yellows. I'm also excited to try and find a few Crappies. The Crappie population is looking good. I fished Clear Lake today and the Yellows were still biting real good. We also got into some Crappies by HyVee Reef. Most of the fish were caught on Ripple Shads and a few on Cranks as we were trolling for Eyes.

The fall tournament was on Clear Lake today and the Walleye bite was not good. 11 fish weighed out of 23 boats. The Fish came out of the basin on Lead Core. The Yellow bass are still going good. Work the Dollar Dock area, HyVee, Dodges, Billys and the little lake humps. The fish are in 6ft or less. Berkley Ripple Shads are still the ticket for the Yellows. Remember stay on the move when fishing the Yellows.

Clear Lake Yellows are still going real good. Yesterday we found fish on Dodges point and also in the channel. Today we found fish in the little lake on some shallow humps out from Macintosh boat ramp. We've been fishing with plastics but I know Minnows would be just as productive.

The Musky on Clear Lake have really been going good. Buck Tails in the shallows has been best. The Yellows are still going real good also. I like to fish in 5 ft or less and any small jig will catch fish. (Minnows, worms, plastics, bobbers, it really don't matter you just need to be on fish. I'll be out Saturday on Clear and also Coralville on Sunday. I'll post a report later this weekend.

I fished Clear today and even with the cold front the fish are still on the chew. We fished 4 different spots before we caught fish. So I would say cast ripple shads until you find fish. I have been fishing in 5 fow or less. Dodges, Channel, North shore, and Billys. The best area has been the wind blown shores.

Clear lake has still been good. Sunny warm days have been best. Work the wind blown shores in 2-4 fow on warm days. Cast a jig and a minnow or a 2" ripple shad. If your coming up to Clear Lake shoot me a email and I would be more then happy to help you out.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. Just a few things so we can all get back to eating cookies and fresh turk. Big Blue Pond in Mason City just had a Trout Stocking a couple of days ago and they are hungry. Also Clear Lake has been great.. lots of Crappie, Perch, and Yellows are being caught. The Grade and any of the Boat Ramps in the little lake have been kicking out lots of fish.

I am interested in giving Clear Lake a try this winter for the very first time. Any pointers of where to gain access and start out? Is live bait or minnows a must? I've been doing some research and seems the little lake or that little bay area of Clear Lake seems to be a good starting point. Im type of guy who will run and gun to find fish if needed all day.

Its going to be a quite a drive for me coming from the Twin Cities but im willing to explore new grounds. Target species will be Crappies, Walleyes and of course them feisty Yellow Bass. Thanks!

Last winter, the area off the Farmer's Beach access on the south side of Clear Lake was the hot spot for yellow bass. Farmer's Beach is on the end of Cedar Avenue, which itself is off B 35/235th Street, which runs along the south side of the lake.

I was hitting lots of yellow bass, along with the occasional walleye, crappie, and perch, in about ten feet of water.

As for bait, I always brought minnows along, and put a larger one on a tip-up while moving around looking for the next school of yellows. When the yellows are hitting they don't seem to be picky, but I usually tip my artificial lures with minnow heads, although waxies seem to work just as well. Jigging spoons like the Swedish Pimple worked well for me.

As mentioned in posts from last winter, mobility is the key to catching good numbers of yellows through the ice. Drill a lot of holes, and keep moving. Usually I would hit a school of yellows for maybe two or three minutes, and then it was on to the next holes.

And don't be afraid to keep as many yellows as you want. There is no limit, and they are a pest fish that happens to be fun to catch and good to eat. I think they're far better eating than their cousin the white bass, comparable to bluegill.

Last winter, the area off the Farmer's Beach access on the south side of Clear Lake was the hot spot for yellow bass. Farmer's Beach is on the end of Cedar Avenue, which itself is off B 35/235th Street, which runs along the south side of the lake.

I was hitting lots of yellow bass, along with the occasional walleye, crappie, and perch, in about ten feet of water.

As for bait, I always brought minnows along, and put a larger one on a tip-up while moving around looking for the next school of yellows. When the yellows are hitting they don't seem to be picky, but I usually tip my artificial lures with minnow heads, although waxies seem to work just as well. Jigging spoons like the Swedish Pimple worked well for me.

As mentioned in posts from last winter, mobility is the key to catching good numbers of yellows through the ice. Drill a lot of holes, and keep moving. Usually I would hit a school of yellows for maybe two or three minutes, and then it was on to the next holes.

And don't be afraid to keep as many yellows as you want. There is no limit, and they are a pest fish that happens to be fun to catch and good to eat. I think they're far better eating than their cousin the white bass, comparable to bluegill.

Thanks for the awesome advice! Cant wait to give it a go. laugh

I just got back from the St. Paul Ice Show and man that’s a place to check out. As for Clear Lake Farmers is a great spot to start. It’s one of the best all around (go to) areas. I'm a guy that likes to fish alone. Like eyehunter said (keep looking for new fish) That’s the biggest word of advice that I can offer. I like to fish the pump house and the little lake. I'll start in the little lake maybe 6-8 fow. The Crappies are making a great comeback this year and the yellows are sitting around 9-10" One of my favorite jigs for yellows is a northland mud bug w/spikes. Spike will stay on much better than any other bait and thats a key factor when fishing yellows. To keep a school active you must be a fast fisherman. Rip them up and immediately drop your bait back down for another. Once they move on don't wait.. It's time for you to move!

Thanks i look forward to giving it. Just a heads up to all you ice heads. On Feb 16th we are having the 1st Annual Clear Lake Yellow Bass Bonanza fishing tournament.

Entry is $25

Single man event

8am-1pm.

Weigh your heaviest fifty.

Yellow bass are an invasive species so thats why the large baskets. They are also great to eat so if you have this day open come to clear lake iowa and fish it.

We will have more info next week. Thanks everyone for reading my post.