• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Youth Waterfowlers

GOOD LUCK to all the youth waterfowlers heading out this weekend.

Make it fun and have a good time with these kids as they are the future of the waterfowling to come.

Thanks to all the adults that are taking the time to get kids out to the duck swamp.

Tomorrow morning I'll be taking out a dad and his son for the youth hunt. We're sitting on about 100 geese in the field. Neither of them have really witnessed "feet in the gravel" decoying before so hopefully they cooperate!

If you've got strong winds, like we do tomorrow morning, these birds will be low and may hang in the air longer than anticipated, especially if they come in gusts.

At the end of the day, all I care about is showing these guys a good time. Good luck to all the youth hunters out there and be safe!!

Well my one sons friend backed out last minuet but we went anyways and my youngest Davey shot his three woodies and his first goose all before 8 am . Didn't see any teal this morning but the woodies were thick as skeeters . Birds cleaned and in the crock pot for dinner mmmm bring on opener .

full-15313-24209-imag0364.jpg

My 10 year old got zip. Had an awesome time though! He should have had 2 that landed in the deeks and a goose or 2 but just missed. A ton of geese flying this morning but most were high, guys on the other side of the pond got plenty though. Didn't see any woodies just teal and a few mallards.

Good times this morning. My oldest daughter got one wood duck, one mallard and three teal. The birds were there but very disappointed in the lake conditions with the summer flooding. It was great getting out.
What is the rice situation.

Went out with my friend and his son. No birds for the first timer. A few small flocks of mallards early, and not a single teal or wood duck to be had. I set up for geese down the shore from them and took two after his son had missed. At least my dog had fun. One the bright side, the kid still had dun and wants to do it again. Maybe next year the birds will cooperate.

Gordie

Unfortunately short and spotty. Lots of open water.

well I'm not saying itas bad casue I don't have my beavertail anymore so maybe it will be good for divers late in te season.

Thanks HNTNBUX and if you ever looking for a second let me know Thursdays are open along with a few Mondays and Fridays

My 11 yr old finally made it happen. Not only did he get his first duck, which was a goose, he got his limit of 3 mallards, 2 widgeon and a teal. He also doubled twice!!! I hunted with my brother and a friend and all 4 of us never screamed so loud when he dropped that first goose. At that moment my son became a duck hunter as the excitment of all the birds, some misses and then finally connecting all came together. He has talked about it every day since and can't wait to get out for opener. I'm sorry for those who feel that it ruins their hunt, I guess you will just have to get over the self absorbing behavior but as long as my kids are old enough to have a chance to see and shoot at some birds I love the youth opener.

Hey, I'm only 40 and I have been a die hard hunter since age 8 but I also had better duck hunting opportunites growing up. The areas I hunt have had worse hunting in the past few years so it has been a real challenge to get on birds myself, let alone a youth hunter.

The youth hunt scares no more birds away then the first day of the "opener". The ducks stay and are huntable for weeks, it's always been that way and hasn't changed. Congrats to all the kids who got out and did some shooting.