• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

!@$*&*@!! Squirrels!!! %#@**#@!

8-Ball

What, if any, options are there for keeping squirrels from digging holes and tearing up my grass? I cant use a pellet gun-in the metro so neighbors would not like, for sure. dam things! Anything I could put down that might keep them away? Or am I dreaming?

About the only thing you can do in the cities is live trap them and move them. But if you are going to do that try and do it before to late in the year so they have time to gather food and make a nest where ever you move them to before to late in the year! wink

Who says you can't use a pellet gun?

A pellet gun is a firearm by definition. Firearm defined - Minn. Stat. §97A.015 Subd. 19. “Firearm” means a gun that discharges shot or a projectile by means of an explosive, a gas, or compressed air.

You may be able to do it in Wakeemup but it doesn't fly well in the Twin Cities.

Bird gotta fly, fish gotta swim, puppy gotta chew, wife gotta nag, squirrel gotta root and bury.

Having said that, try putting out some feeders for them. Cobs of corn attached to a bungee cord on a tree limb are rather entertaining and get the job done. They're looking for and stashing food for the winter, it's what they do. If you can't shoot em and eat em, or if you don't have a dog to chase em away, you'll have to play their game. Putting something out for them that's readily available will slow down the rootin around process.

Bird gotta fly, fish gotta swim, puppy gotta chew, wife gotta nag, squirrel gotta root and bury.

Having said that, try putting out some feeders for them. Cobs of corn attached to a bungee cord on a tree limb are rather entertaining and get the job done. They're looking for and stashing food for the winter, it's what they do. If you can't shoot em and eat em, or if you don't have a dog to chase em away, you'll have to play their game. Putting something out for them that's readily available will slow down the rootin around process.

Thats what I would do feed them corn and enjoy there antics set up some type of acrobatic display when they come to feed. They are fun to watch.

I watched two squirrels figure out how to get the lid off the bird feeder food this summer and it was comical to say the least.

Lwnmwnman2,

I was directed by the police department to discretely dispose of squirels this way after they did damage to my house as well as vehicles. If you contact an exterminator they will advise you to get rid of squirels this way as well.

About the only thing you can do in the cities is live trap them and move them. But if you are going to do that try and do it before to late in the year so they have time to gather food and make a nest where ever you move them to before to late in the year! wink

Since the Admins are in a tizzy about being 100% legal it should be pointed out that the trapping option is also illegal except while in season and you must possess a license. They are a protected species. Once taken they cannot be legally released at another location.

“TAKING” DEFINED

“Taking” means pursuing, shooting, killing, capturing, trapping, snaring, angling, spearing, or netting wild animals; or placing, setting, drawing, or using a net, trap, or other device to take wild animals.

No protected species may be taken in any manner in any area of the state except in accordance with these regulations.

• All protected species must be killed before being removed from the site where taken.

'tis the season. Squirrels are busy burying mast crops already. Like Gordie, I feed the squirrels their own corn on a feeder made with a couple pole barn spikes so they can't just run off with the ears. Keeps them occupied and full so they're less apt to get into the bird feeders. I have found though that even a double baffled squirrel proof feeder hung from a tree limb is not squirrel proof. grin However, even in the country where I live, you can't just blow stuff away whenever you'd like without potential consequences. There is a season and there are bag limits on squirrels and bunnies. If you're going to shoot them, it better be in season and you'd better have a license. And there becomes the issue of wanton waste if you don't eat them. I like eating both and if they get in my way in season, they just might wind up marinated and on the grill. I simply don't know who my neighbors are anymore either. There are many recent transplants I've never met. I can't just assume they won't call the DNR if I get too carried away.

Additionally, I found this on the DNR HSOforum regarding nuisance animals. Note that squirrels are included on the list, as are links to the laws & accepted procedures for dealing with them. Hope this helps clear things up.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwith_wildlife/taking.html