• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tent choices

Lund79

I am looking at getting a new tent and not sure which direction I want to go. I currently have a Cabelas Alaskan 6 person dome tent with vestibule (about 15 years old). There are 4 of us, wife and I with 2 kids (10 and 8). We currently use a tarp under the tent to help with keeping the bottom dry. We have gotten wet (sleeping bags) on a couple occasions and are looking at something to keep us dry and give more room inside (standing height as well as room to walk around the air mattresses). We have a queen air mattress as well as single air mattresses for the kids. We are cramped in the 6 person model dome style when all this is setup in the tent. We typically camp twice a year (Memorial day and Labor day weekends).

Anybody have experience with a canvas wall tent? I know they are heavier but wondering if the waterproof will be better. What about the ventilation...are they hot inside?

Here are some tents we have been looking at:

1. REI Ransom 8 Tent 2012

2. Kodiak Canvas Bow Flex (6 and 8 person)

3. Other family tents from the Big C store and REI site.

Thanks for the input in advance.

We have a Cabelas Outfitter XWT 12 x 12. Excellent tent, sets up quick and we have had no problems with any weather we have encountered. I also have 2 boy and find we have plenty of room. When it was just the wife and I, we had 2 cots, chairs and a table inside and still had room.

I usually stray away from REI since it is so expensive... but in this case I highly recommend them. They really do have some high quality tents,and if for any reason you arent happy with their products you can return them no questions asked. I dont think you would be dissapointed... No need to get a canvas wall tent, the tents they make nowadays are waterproof and WILL keep you dry.

Check out the Trek tents. I bought one 10 or 12 years ago and never had a problem and never got wet. They are a bit heavy, canvas ceiling and walls, a rubber floor and steal poles are not light but it is very durable. They have large screened windows that let plenty of air through but it also holds heat very well for late fall hunting trips.

I have been an avid camper for years and if you are talking car camping I really can't say enough good things about the Kodiak Canvas Bow Flex tents. I have the 10x14 and it is absolutely awesome. I am 6'6" and I can stand no problem. We use cots in the tent, use some 5x7 rugs down on the already heavy duty floor. I do use a footprint (smaller than tent) under as well more to protect the bottom that waterproof it, etc. The new tech canvas tent really breathes as well so no dampness in the morning, etc. Basically it is like a Canvas Cabin that sets up and tears down in minutes and is rock solid (as long as you cna stake it out good) in as much wind and rain you would want to camp in.

A fan

good luck

If your using a tarp under your tent make sure the tarp is smaller than your tent. If any part of the tarp is extending past the edge of the tent it will collect and hold water.

Thanks for the tip. I make sure the tarp is completely under the tent. I learned the hard way a few years back.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I was not aware of the REI exchange policy until I came across the tents and read reviews and noticed this.

Yes...we am car camping.

I will look at the Trek tents as well.

We want something that will last a while since the kids will be getting bigger and will need the extra room for all of us. Down the road, I may end up using the tent for Fall hunting trips so wondering if a wall tent would better suit those purposes for the weather conditions.

Keep the replies coming. I am still open as to what direction I should go.

Another vote for REI. Yes, they're expensive, but a tent isn't something to skimp on, in my opinion.

For what it's worth, try putting plastic or Tyvek INSIDE the tent underneath the sleeping bags and sleeping pads. Make sure it's a foot or so too long on each side so it curls up the walls of the tent, and you'll never get wet again (unless the tent is dripping down on you).

I too have the Kodiak Canvas Bow Flex tent, and I love it. been in some real downpours with it and you stay dry! the way its made is outstanding. the zippers will not leak they way the cover them and they don't get caught in the cover like most of the tents do. good ventilation if you open up the windows. state of the art! It is a heavy duty tent!

I too have the Kodiak Canvas Bow Flex tent, and I love it. been in some real downpours with it and you stay dry! the way its made is outstanding. the zippers will not leak they way the cover them and they don't get caught in the cover like most of the tents do. good ventilation if you open up the windows. state of the art! It is a heavy duty tent!

I had never heard of these until now. I read some reviews on their HSOforum. Are they really that easy to setup? And one guy can do it?

We have a Cabelas Outfitter XWT 12 x 12. Excellent tent, sets up quick and we have had no problems with any weather we have encountered. I also have 2 boy and find we have plenty of room. When it was just the wife and I, we had 2 cots, chairs and a table inside and still had room.

+1 On the XWT 12 x 12

I love mine!!!