• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mn Wolf

BlackArrow1

Hypothetically they could close the season at 1 pm and I wouldn't know until Sunday night.

Sounds like you'd have a better chance of getting your wolf. grin I would think it would be as of the next day or two, not immediate anyway. It's likely they accounted for a possible slight overharvest of their numbers, when calculating.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're supposed to let you know the first part of October...you should be able to check results online like for bear and turkey...that is...if they still have a wolf season...

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has been informed that a petition for review was filed today with the Minnesota Court of Appeals in an attempt to stop the state’s upcoming wolf hunting and trapping season. The agency and the Office of the Attorney General have not been served with or reviewed the petition and have no comment on this legal proceeding.

However, the DNR has stated in the past that the current season poses no biological or conservation threat to the wolf population.

I conversed with a warden who has dispatched wolves in the past. He says that it's highly unlikely that the quota will be met. Some will be taken, but they learn fast to stay away from humans. Especially deer hunters. IMO the DNR is gonna come out on top with this one on the tag revenue. It makes money and silences hunters complaints about wolf deer kills enough for them. The wolf is here to stay. I agree they need to be managed through lottery. However, without baiting em some way it's really just a dump shoot for people who draw tags. IMHO. Good hunting:).

I conversed with a warden who has dispatched wolves in the past. He says that it's highly unlikely that the quota will be met. Some will be taken, but they learn fast to stay away from humans. Especially deer hunters. IMO the DNR is gonna come out on top with this one on the tag revenue. It makes money and silences hunters complaints about wolf deer kills enough for them. The wolf is here to stay. I agree they need to be managed through lottery. However, without baiting em some way it's really just a dump shoot for people who draw tags. IMHO. Good hunting:).

I think the wolf hunt will lend certainty to the issue for me personally.

If the quota is met early it should tell us that the population is, as many hunters suggest, much higher than "experts" have been able to measure.

If the hunt goes very slowly we will know that the "experts" have been right all along and a single wolf sighting goes along way in public perception.

Of course both sides will have backup excuses: hunters not being able to bait, or a rapid successful wolf kill for one season was sufficient and there is no more need to control the population... ever.

I'm just hoping my hunting party can see more deer than wolves. The preliminary report isn't favorable. They haven't had a deer on a camera yet.

The success of the hunt doesn't automatically prove who is right about population levels. Success or failure of the hunt has too many variables involved to use it as the lone indicator of population size.

I don't think either side would ever admit to anything as proof. This is too political and has very little to do with factual correctness and more to do with political bargaining.

I can't find the reference because I don't have enough info to look for them. I've heard some old timers discussing independent studies performed by a couple of researchers performing fly over studies in Yellowstone as well as in a state forest in Wisconsin and they find dramatically higher wolf populations than estimated by the similar annual committees in Minnesota that meet and form a consensus based on ???

I think it offers a very important quantifiable variable that is largely missing from the discussion. Myself and many others are very skeptical of the estimated wolf population. If they close the hunt after the first weekend that tells my conscience we did the right thing and it is probably overdue. If 200 wolves are killed throughout the entire season that tells us the wolves aren't running rampant stealing unborn children.

I'm a bit unclear as to what some are getting at here, I hear coyotes nightly in Sept. and Oct. unless it's a very windy night, several groups of them yipping and barking etc in many directions at the same time, I moved onto this farm in 1996 and believe it or not I have yet to see 1 during any month of the year deer hunting either so if I went by what I saw I'd say there are 0 around, when I go by what I hear there's dozens of them in my section in the fall. They don't run rampant(in shooting light anyway) and I don't think wolves likely run rampant either, I also have at times wolves on my farm, certainly haven't seen 1 of them either, just tracks and howling generally a loner and not a pack, then you don't hear the yotes. I just hope plenty of hunters get after them in Ottertail county where the population is growing quickly.

Wolves, from all accounts, are crafty and really tough to hunt. Most of us that applied have no idea [PoorWordUsage] we are doing. So I don't think the success or failure of this hunt says much about the overall wolf population. That's not politics, it's common sense.

I agree wolves are cunning and masters of survival; however, from the hunting camps in my area, nearly all saw wolves during season. I think they will be educated quick when shots fly, if MN hunts the same way they do out west, reported harvest numbers aren't going to be accurate.

I am suprised it took the people for wolfs this long to put up a lawsuit. I guess they don't have much of a case, it took them this long to figure out what to do.

I'm guessing they knew exactly what they were doing, and purposefully waited until now to file anything. They know that by filing close to the hunting season, they have a much better chance of the Courts instituting an injunction on the hunting/trapping seasons in order to see how the lawsuit plays out, rather than to have filed much earlier, which would have possibly provided the Courts to hold hearings and make rulings on the issue(s). For as "dumb" as many of these PETA/Tree huggers come off about wildlife/animals/etc., they are often quite savvy in their ways of promoting their cause.

I haven't read all the posts but, I did read one about people getting in the lottery with no intention of steeping off thier front porch if they draw. Just to take so many tags out of the system. The way we do cats here is the state sells an unlimited amount of tags. A kill has to be reported within 24 hours and they must check to see how many have been filled before they go out. That way the tree huggers can't cut into the quota.

Paul, isn't that exactly how the wolf hunt in MN is going to happen, just with limited licenses sold? Way more licenses will be issued than the quota for wolves taken.

- "All applicants must present proof of a previous or current hunting or trapping license in order to apply"

- "Non-resident licenses issued through the lottery will not exceed 5 percent of the total wolf hunting licenses."

- "The lottery will award 3,600 licenses during the early season and 2,400 during the late season, at least 600 of which will be for trapping."

- "Target harvests have been established in each of the state's three wolf hunting zones. If a target harvest is achieved, hunting and trapping will be closed in that zone."

The first and second quotes off the DNR's HSOforum pretty much ensure that "tree huggers" (I never understood why liking trees was a bad thing) in Minnesota won't be able to apply. Heck I kinda wish they didn't have the second one, I'd like to see a ton of licenses sold at $250 a pop, but keep the quotas the same.

For every license sold that isn't used, that's another wolf not taken that will extend the season for everyone else.

...For every license sold that isn't used, that's another wolf not taken that will extend the season for everyone else.

So, the treehuggers that get a license will just 'fill' it the first day and shorten the season. Just like they could do in SoDak.

confused

Just thinking, should be interesting to see in the outdoor news those brave enough to not get on the anti-s-mailing list or whatever what counties these wolves get taken from or if the DNR will list the counties and how many were taken there. With my connections etc. there's no doubt Ottertail,Wadena,Kanabec and maybe even northern Isanti counties could be involved if people apply and wish to pursue them there. Good luck and it should be a very interesting result.