• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mn Wolf

BlackArrow1

Looking to discuss the wolf season. My parents neighbor across the road, had a prowling wolf. During day time. They have horses. No big deal. But they have a bigger black lab that barked and tried to put it in place. It dwarfed the lab and took no notice to the lab. It prowled the property without a scare. They had to bring the dog in. Apparently these wolves are not afraid of much now. If they show themselves in the daylight. It happened. Not coyotes. At what point do you consider these animals a threat? To local kids? Do ya treat em like cougar?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wolves are very much a threat to their dog (very territorial) and not much else. If there is enough of them they might be able to take a horse down but it would be an extreme case. They don't pose much of a threat to humans but next time they see one fire a couple shots in the air just to keep it that way.

I didn't think this topic would be this tame!

I can't believe all of you horrible people that would consider killing a beatiful animal like a wolf! You should all be ashamed of yourselves. (How is that?)

p.s. That was sarcasm, used for my entertainment only.

Would have gladly put in for one, but have never seen one where we hunt. Heard a few one of my bow spots, but not enough coming through to justify the expense for em.

I liked the "I feel shame" line best.

Hey you never know when your lotto number is going to hit either! It could happen! laugh

I'd say prowling the property during daylight is enough of a threat. Just my guess but its determined its now his territory, or hes a lone wolf and looking for an easy meal opportunity. I think I would put it down (after missing a few times of course)

I too am enjoying the anti-DNR signs up in the st. paul area. Be interesting once the season starts what any protests or whatever may look like.

I've seen wolves within 150 yards of my parents house and they just kept right on walking when hollered at. But here's an open question for all of you! How many people will give a flying funk if a wolf walks out in front of them and they do not have a permit? This is the first year it is open and I'm guessing anyone with a rifle and "questionable" integrity will pull the trigger. Any thoughts, ideas, or comments are welcome. This is just my observation with mankind now days.

I've seen wolves within 150 yards of my parents house and they just kept right on walking when hollered at. But here's an open question for all of you! How many people will give a flying funk if a wolf walks out in front of them and they do not have a permit? This is the first year it is open and I'm guessing anyone with a rifle and "questionable" integrity will pull the trigger. Any thoughts, ideas, or comments are welcome. This is just my observation with mankind now days.

The people that will do that are the ones that already do it

While putting out bear baits over the labor day weekend, I ran into a DNR trapper...he was trapping and radio collaring timbers south of the Faunce tower...he said he'd caught and collared one that morning on the rapid river road...it's part of thier "population" study and they collar so many each time they do the study...He said they put collars on about half a dozen the week before about 20 miles east...I asked how far west the went and he said about to Hayes Park, but he didn't expect to collar any over that way this year as a pack had been taken out near there due to predation on some of the area farmers cattle and turkeys...I asked if they ever collar any farther east, like from Middle River and west towards the Red River Valley...he said they did a couple of times....but, he said..."they all seem to get shot over there"! grin So, they don't go that far west anymore....

I can't speak for everyone in the state, but I know in our region there are a lot of wolf haters out there. Pretty much anything with hair that isn't inside a fenced pasture gets shot, no matter what time of year it is.

They have their place, the wolves, of that there is no doubt. Don't really know how I'd handle a routinely visiting full grown wolf on our property. Suppose I'd be a little nervous about our kids, and the dog. Heck, I'm always worried about our new pup running into a skunk or raccoon! Just glad we aren't in your shoes.

I think I'd call the DNR and talk to them about the issue. They might offer some helpful advice about how you might permanently chase the animal off your property?

Well maybe I can stir the pot a little.

First off I do agree with the wolf hunt. An unchecked population is not a good thing for Minnesota or the wolf and deer populations. Personally I won't take part because I don't like killing something that I can't eat but I have no problem with the legal hunt.

I also do think that we need to improve in our ability to coexist with wolves in MN. The one concern I have is the mentality of some hunters that think the only good wolf is a dead wolf. Most of the guys I talk to up near our hunting area have this mentality. They talk about how the wolves are taking all of "their" deer every year. They don't seem to realize that wolves are native to MN and are meant to be here and are meant to eat deer. Hoepfully someday we will be able to find a balance between hunters, deer, and the wolves although it will take awhile and I don't think a legalized hunt will solve it.

And the last thing, if you don't have a permit to hunt wolves please don't shoot one unless it is an active threat to livestock, pet, or person. A wolf walking your property during the day does not make it an active threat. It just means its out for a walk. Shooting a non threatening wolf without a permit is irresponsible and illegal. Personally if I saw you do it I'd have no problem calling the TIP line and reporting it. Its no different then going out and shooting a deer in july, poaching is poaching.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that The DNR trapper also said that the all the wolves he had trapped this summer to collar were only about 60% of what thier "normal" weight should be for this time of year...we asked is that because of the "lack" of deer and other food sources? And he responded..."yes, deer numbers were way down in most of the area's he'd been trapping and also, (just like a dog), when conditions are extremely dry, the wolves nose doesn't pick up scent as easily as when there is more moisture in the vegetation...I found that quite interesting....About an hour after we talked to him, I thought of the most obvious question..."what are you using for bait?" He was using leg-hold traps...Gosh, I hope I run into him again!

Think a bit to nofishfisherman is the "investment" so many have made to the whitetailed deer investing lots of $ I would venture a wild guess that knocking on a farmers door to seek rifle or gun deer hunting permission is most likely the toughest permission to get and if wolves primarily like 99% of the time ate rabbits,squirrel and mice there'd be no issue, but they inhale the deer so it fires up the masses that have invested so much especially in our rapid inflation era we are living in. All I know for sure is my uncle usually has thousands of trail cam deer pics yearly, now this year mega mega wolves in farmland country and they are really destroying the fawn crop like very very very few fawns after a winter where nearly every doe should have had twins, they get it first, then momma, it has changed his area south of HWY 10 for likely the next several years, these are not large tracts of land by no means, but yes the wolf has a place I just don't think intended for several packs to be living south of that major highway. Thankfully they can now be managed for the better for all involved.