• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crops coming out!!!!

MUSKY18

Seems that a lot of the farmers are already busting hump and chopping a lot of corn fields already. Beans are turning yellow in a hurry and I imagine it won't be long before they are ready to come out of the fields as well. Should be nice to hunt without all the standing corn and beans like the last couple of years for the deer to hide in. Start them on a fall feeding pattern and hopefully bring success to all of us!

For sure beans are turning really early this year. I don't see any chance of a standing bean field being worth hunting this year.

More corn is getting chopped because it's not going to mature because of the drought. My neighbors have chopped most of their's already.

I'm beginning to wonder how the season is going to shape up. I looked at almost 50 white oaks this past weekend and not one had any acorns. Some had fallen already (what they had) and others look as though they never produced.

I'm no farmer so forgive me of the stupid question. But my wife's second cousin was cutting a corn field of his this weekend in the Alexandria area. It looked like a good field, taller than a lot of the fields I've seen around home here. I checked another corn field to see how it (the corn) looked. I pulled the husk back to look and it was dimpled but still somewhat soft ( I could push in with fingernail). Why would anyone cut it when it hadn't dried yet? He wasn't using a combine, I think it was a harvester he was using. Just seemed strange as I suspect any good corn crop is going to be worth a lot of money this year.

I'll ask him next weekend but just curious if anyone could shed some light on it for me.

yes.....he wsa chopping sileage. They won't use the combines and pick the corn fields until the mositure content of the ears goes down below a certain percentage, otherwise they spend big money on having it dried before it is put up for the winter until they use it.

Was out in the woods this weekend checking cameras with a buddy and the oaks in the woods were dropping their acorns like crazy. Didn't seem to be much left up in the actual trees themselves. All in all, I'm kind of thinking that the usual patterns are going to be earlier than normal. Acorns dropping now, leaves turning, crops coming out ahead of schedule.........

Yeah I knew he had to be cutting it for the right reason. Just did a search on it and read way more than I need to know on silage and moisture content. Ive got alot to learn on farming practices.

So you had lots of acorns huh, man I wish i did. Might need to spend some more time trying to find the few good trees. Of 3 property's I hunt not one of my regular good acorn trees have any. And I have been watching them for almost 2 months so they didn't already drop. They just didnt produce this year.

I just came back from my hunting land(NW Wisconsin), and the acorns were thick, and dropping like mad. But this was on par with most years, since I normally go up there and plant a food plot on labor day weekend, and normally have acorns dropping this time of year. The leaves havent started turning yet, but it wont be long. Last Labor day weekend, the leaves already were turning, so I see nothing really abnormal about this year, other then the soil is rather dry. The been fields in the area varied a lot, even within a mile. Some fields were mostly green yet, some half yellow, and some were brown, and looked like they could be picked at any time.

As for the corn fields, they varied a quite a bit as well, from a little green in them, to cobs hanging, and ready to fall off. There are alos a lot of sunflowers planted in the area, and the fields varied a lot, just by the structure, the tops of the hills, were a foot tall, the valleys were 6'+ tall, the the middle of the flat grounds looked 4-6 feet tall. I didnt get out and check the seeds on any of the plants, since I dont own the fields, but these were my observations from the roads. I cant really compare the fields to previous years, because most of them, were grass fields the past 20 years.

A few people are starting to pick corn down here in southern MN. I tested the field around my house and moisture was at 22.3% but have heard of some being around 14-15%, don't know if its true or not though. Corn will definitely be out before beans this year.