• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building 1000+ yd rifle, need some tips

First off, for the ethics pilice, this WILL NOT NE A DEER RIFLE. smile Now that we've got that outta the way... I've really gotten into prairie dog hunting since I moved to NoDak, but the old 25-06 deer rifle can only do so much. She's a heck of a gun, consistently putting em down out to 600 and even reaching out a little over 800 yds a few times, but I want more smile i wanna hit 1000+. I'm probably gonna stick with the 25-06, both because of its lazer ballistics and since I will be keeping the deer rifle, it'll simplify reloading. I think I already have the rifle picked out, the Savage Long Range Hunter. Looks like a HECK of a rifle for a little more than $750.

What I need info on is optics and bullets. As far as optics, I've always used Leupold but man are they getting pricey, especially when you start looking at 6-24x. And I feel like there's a lot better options for less. Nikon seems to have come a long way recently. Also, I found the Viper PST Riflescope. Seems like a heck of a good deal with some great reviews.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Bullets is where I need to start doing some learning. I have never reloaded before, so theres a lot to learn!!! Where would you start? Bullet weights range from 75-120 gr. velocities range from (roughly) 3200-3800fps. I would think I want a little weight to help carry through the wind, but I've also heard that velocity carries through wind a lot better than weight. However, heavier bullets will spin true farther.

Sorry for all the ?s but long-range shooting is pretty new to me, but man is it fun!!!!

I should add, I've spent ALOT of time looking at different calibers. I considered the .338 Lapua and 300 UltraMag seriously, as well as the 6.5x.284 Norma and .300 Hulk, but those bullets are sooo expensive and until you start getting well over 1200 yds the 25-06 is actually more consistent. If I was trying to kill larger game at range something .30 or bigger would be necessary.

I guess I'm no help in the 1000+ yard rifle shooting department. But, will you keep us posted on your results? I'm curious to see what you come up with. I don't know if you have any interest, or what your budget is, but I know you can also buy just the action from Savage, and put a custom barrel on it. Just another option to consider. (If you haven't already.)

Also: The ethics police give you a thumbs up since prarie dogs at that range are basically hit-or-miss targets. wink

TTT, I thought about building a rifle from the ground up, then I found the Long Range Hunter. Comes with the AccuTrigger, AccuStock which comes bedded and with an adjustable cheek comb and a 26" barrel with built-in brake.

Fishattacker, good info, thanks!

The Savage long range hunter should be a great gun. If you're considering doing a lot of shooting, a .243 is a good choice - low recoil and less expensive to reload than the long cartridges.

Edit:

I see the long range hunter is not available in a .243, so my next choice would be the .260 Rem.

Your scope is going to be one of the most important thing for a true 1000yd gun, So be ready to drop a grand or more. Weight is more important than speed at that distance. And your going to want work up a load that has a very small spread in FPS. That is a very important step.

For bullets I would look at a match grade bullet. All the little things need to be perfect to be a good long distance shot.

Get the best you can afford!!!!! I used a Leupold Gold Ring 3 6.5-20 target for long range. I've shot a lot of prairie dogs in southern NE at 1000+ yards. If you are shooting in the summer you won't be able to use much more than 14 power (IMHO) because of heat mirage. I shot a 7 mag and I found that the 110 gr target bullets were the most accurate for my gun (this is a light bullet for this caliber). You will most likely need to experiment with diff loads to find what you like best. If I build another long range gun I will put a Nightforce on top.

Quote:
Your scope is going to be one of the most important thing for a true 1000yd gun

For sure one of the most important components to be consistent at long range. The crosshairs on a regular hunting scope would probably be at least 3 or 4 inches wide at 1000 yds.

I've seen a lot and fired some 1000 yard match guns and some 600 yard NRA high power match rifles in various 6.5 mm calibers. They are really something compared to the 7.62 NATO and 7,62X54r rifles I'm accustomed to firing at long range. Bad news, you may have to give up on your .25 bore. The proper extreme BC bullets just aren't available to retain velocity and limit wind drift at extreme range.

The good news is 6.5mm-06 is a good option for you. The reloading procedure will be very similar to your 25-06, the same propellants can be used and your brass is most easily made from 25-06 brass by simply running it through a 6.5-06 die set. Redding makes those for only a slight upcharge over standard calibers.

For a true 1000 yard rig you'll be building a custom rifle. I'd use a Savage accutrigger model long action as your base rifle. Don't know the ins and outs of barrels or optics, I'm a service rifle shooter who still fires an M1 Garand against the black rifles. I do know that ballistically the 6.5-06 round will outshine the vaunted 6.5X284 ballistically. A 140 gr SMK, Nosler CC or Lapua Scenar will be your go-to bullets. Good luck!

Good points. I know the 6.5/.260 caliber has some distinct advantages in terms of BC, sectional density, etc.

I have a custom 6.5 Swede mauser with a Douglas barrel and a Timney trigger that is deadly accurate at normal hunting ranges, and fun to shoot. It would be interesting to see how it would do with a good long range scope sometime.

Give it a try with the scope you've got. I shoot vintage sniper matches at 600 yards with a replica 91/30 PU Mosin Nagant with a 3.5X scope. I have no trouble hitting 10s and x's until the wind blows. Still getting the hang of those 174 gr SMKs and the swirling wind at Harris/GRRC.

Thanks for the tips guys! I have no doubt the scope I have on my current 25-06 is capable of holding groups at that range, but I need to be able to see what I'm shooting at. I'll be shooting some paper but mostly prairie dogs. I am starting to lean towards a .260 Rem though. Been hearing a lot of good things about it.

I own an original sniper PU also but I put the wear and tear on the repro. They certainly do shoot. Great piece of living history for the price.

260 rem will do well for you. A lot of guys shoot this caliber to 1000 in NRA and F-class competition if they don't want to mess with 6.5X284. Now that that caliber is available commercially that advantage is fading. When you're talking ranges over 500 yards, initial launch velocity is not as important as accuracy potential and your ability to utilize an extremely efficient projectile. The .260 will do both in spades. The 25-06 would work if anybody made a 125 grain match bullet with a BC in the .5 range and a barrel with fast enough twist to stabilize it.

Glass is crucial but knowing your dope is even more so. Once you realize just how far 1K is, you'll also know how many different scenarios your bullet will pass through on it's way to it's intended target.

The gun is only the tool. It's the shooter (and spotter) that make it happen.

BTW... I've got a custom 300WM that's dinged steel at 1300+. Shoot me a PM if you'd ever like to give her a rip.