• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outdoor living

chasineyes

After sitting outside on a nice labor day afternoon, it got me thinking. Has anyone ever installed/mounted a tv under their deck? We face east so it's nice and shaded in the evening and I thought about doing this since the kids are out in back swimming and jumping.

Thoughts???

Yeah, I have a thought. If you enjoyed sitting out on your deck on the nice afternoon, what the hell do you need a yammering TV for with its incessant flow of mindless drivel?

Enjoy the breeze and the birds and the butterflies and the clouds dancing with the sunbeams.

I don't watch very much TV but I have one on my deck and in the garage as well as in the living room.

The one in the garage is for Sportscenter on Saturday mornings while working on stuff, and playing Big Buck Hunter.

The one on the deck is for watching Twins games. Hey, when it's nice outside and I want to catch the game it's the perfect way to go.

I have seen many outdoor bars/restaurants with TVs hung. Like I said make sure it is protected from moisture and bring it in in the winter and it should be fine. Also might not want to do it in a high crime neighborhood. wink

So I'll take that as a NO, that none of you have done it. However I'm curious as to what the difference is between having a man cave in the garage vs. under the deck?

Our neighbor down the street has one on his front porch. I always see him watching brewers games at night. I have thought about it, but neither of our 2 decks are covered in any manner. You would need some overhang to keep the rain off of your tv.

It is great idea, though.

I have one on the deck, not under. My deck is only aboot 3' off the ground.

I say if you want a man cave under your deck, go for it!!!!!

This was my question also why are you "Under The Deck" and not "On The Deck"? Is your deck on the second floor and you have some sort of walkout basement?

It is easy to build a shelf and have it so it isn't susceptible to movement at least. I also suggest getting a decent antenna to pick up all the HD channels. I use a passive HDTV antenna and I pick up so many channels.....

Quote:
This was my question also why are you "Under The Deck" and not "On The Deck"? Is your deck on the second floor and you have some sort of walkout basement

Your correct. Walkout basement and I'm just thinking about what to do under the deck 14x16 that would make it more user friendly. Realistically I would just bring the TV from the LL Family Room outside when needed, but probably NOT leave it out there for long durations... I"m going to try to post a pic of what my backyard looks like. For those who live in the burbs, you'lll understand. For those of you who don't and live in the country, lets just say I"m NOT overlooking lake superior or the rockies. laugh

One thing to think about is how to keep glare down. Maybe having it angled down so that the "mirror" effect is of the ground rather than the sky might help.

There is also a cool product that slips into the voids between, and opver, the deck joists that make water flow to the end of the deck rather than through the decking to the area below it. Bot sure what it si called, but this would be perfect place to use it, unless you have some other way to divert rain water - i.e. roof over top deck, etc.

when we do our deck in next year or 2 (same size concept with walkout) i will be having cable lines run to outside boxes so can easily swing a tv outside as weather dictates, dont see it getting used a lot but for watching news with weekend morning coffee and preseason vikings games late summer/fall.

also planning on doing outdoor ceiling fan/shaded sitting area underneath as ours will face east & morning sunrise can be very warm & intense at times.

some of our neighbors have it rigged where the cable connection is already there or indoor cable is left extra long to just swing tv outside on deck as wanted.