• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grinding noise when in gear

jvm1

I just noticed this yesterday, as I approached the shore I killed the motor and I could hear a loud clacking noise coming from the lower unit. The boat was in gear still.

Once I was out of the water i tested it at home too, when in forward gear if I spin the prop with my hand it clacks loudly. Any ideas?

Normal? Mine does not at all do this. I could probably start mine if it turned the prop hard enough. grin But my motor might be a bad example as it get 2 mpg (Which I used to think was good) and jerks around so hard at idle, my boat now leaks. (Apparently mine runs good for a "big twin")

Well mine has never made that noise and I have shut it off like that many times.

I can easily adjust to switching it off after putting it in neutral, just wanted to make sure it's not something that needs attention.

Like I said, when turmned off in the garage, if I put it in gear (forward) and spin the prop by hand it clacks.

It is just the clutch dogs ratcheting over. Nothing to worry about. Some have straight cut teeth and some are ramped. If it was a straight cut, it won't ratchet. As stated by Surface Tension, not a good practice. With the engine not running, (exhaust not coming out the exhaust, you could get water up into the cylinders if you are going fast enough when you shut it down.

Most modern outboards aren't designed to be shut down when in gear. thats kind of like turning off your truck while in drive, still rolling. Nobody really does that. always wait until the rpm's are below 2,000 before shifting in and out of neutral. and never shut the motor off in drive. you'll always hear the clicking sound. as the prop is still engaged, the boat is still moving so the prop will still spin with the current and click.. just kick it into neutral as the owners manual states and you should not have that problem. Every modern motor will do that. electronic trim/tilt/shift is more like an automatic in a car. yeah in a manual mustang it might not matter depending if your on a hill or whatever but its not really the same.