• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How long do you stick with a spot?

dilleyo

Me and ETH310 have been fishing the same spot for about 7-8 trips since we got hooked a while back. We have gotten bites everytime and only been skunked once. Combined we have caught 3 fish around the 20lb mark and quite a few smaller ones around 10lbs and under. I know most of you other guys have multiple spots on the river to try, but this was the first spot we tried and haven't moved. I always see posts about guys fishing and getting skunked on multiple trips in a row, so i don't think I want to try to find any new spots this year (I am happy catching cats of any size when we get out grin). Do most of you stay on a spot until it dries up and if so, what do most of you consider the spot to be done? When you stop getting bites? When you are only catching smaller ones? Sorry for the multiple questions and long post, I was just curious what everyone's outlook is on spots.

Rule # 1 in my boat is that you don't leave fish to find fish. If you're getting action consistently I wouldn't move either! That being said I move quite a bit. If I'm not bit in a half hour- hour then I move (longer if it's prime time and bait fish are everywhere). At least if the fishing is slow I feel like I at least gave it a good shot. A lot of time, especially on new water or after a large water level change, I go out and scout some of the areas I'm thinking of fishing while it's day time and scan the bottom to figure out where you can and can't drop baits in certain spots. Then I'll have a milk run of spots to fish after dark. When you're making your run if someone is in one of the spots you were thinking of hitting then just drive by and keep moving on.

A good tactic is to keep a good spot in your back pocket and then hit a few new ones before the good spot. You never know what you might find.

...course there might be a boat on you good spot when you get there. wink

A good tactic is to keep a good spot in your back pocket and then hit a few new ones before the good spot. You never know what you might find.

Words to live by

I love testing new waters and spots. like Alagnak said You dont leave fish to find fish and may mean looking for less spots that time out.

I think that decision is heavily dependent on what species of catfish you're after. If I'm fishing channel cats I tend to have a run and gun approach. 20-30 minutes per spot during the day. At night I move less. Maybe 1 to 2 hours per spot. If I find fish I stay on em' till everything goes quiet.

Flatheads are a different animal. If I know I'm in a good spot I might stay there all night. But ultimately, the fish will tell me if I need to move or not. When a spot is dead, devoid of fish, it doesn't take long to figure it out, and in my humble opinion, it's probably best to move.

Dtro really offers the best advice. Keep a couple good spots in the "wings". Try a few new ones, then motor over to the old standbys when things get too quiet.