• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hardwood floor install question

CAMAN

I'm installing a 3/4" Hickory floor, and am wondering the best way to install the final 3 or 4 rows against the wall I can't get to with the nailer. Using a manual Porta-nailer, so I need a good swing to get it nailed in place. The one area I did install against another wall I nailed the last few rows on the ends and also along the wall where the molding is installed. I tried nailing the tongue with my finish nailer, but obviously the finish nailer hardly fits for the last couple rows without blowing out the bottom of the tongue. I'm kinda hesitant to nail in the field as this is a pre-finished floor, but do want it installed correctly.

So do I nail in the field, or is there another trick I haven't thought of?

Thank You!!

We have a maple floor with 3/4" deep by 3" wide pieces and I only see nail holes in the top on the last row against the wall. Not sure if they dont nail the previous 2 rows and then the last row will anchor it or if they managed to nail it manually or ??

Just an FYI

Several years ago I was thinking about installing hardwood (although I didn't do it) and the online instruction video said to pre-drill holes and hand nail. They claimed that only the last piece would have to be face-nailed. I never tried it, but maybe if you pre-drilled and started the nails, then set the piece in place, it would work. I'm with you, I sure wouldn't want to face nail any more than absolutely necessary.

Once the flooring nailer dont fit for the hammer swing, predril through the toung top 45 degrees then 60 degree about every 10-12 inches the very last row should be face nailed as close to the wall as possible and the base and shoe should cover those nailholes.Fill those holes and dab a finish on them for moisture protection.If done corectlt the face nail holes will be hiden by the base board,and a shoe is sometimes installed for extra hiding space.

Never nail straight in always angle the last face nails toward the wall.That holds the board down better than straight in it could pull straight nails and curl up.

Yeah I searched Google for a while and couldn't find much info to answer my question. Though I did find one guy doing an install that looked like he was on speed or something with how fast he moved and kicked those boards around.

Thanks jentz, that's exactly what I was looking for and its working like a charm so far.