• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brake Pad replacement question ----

Last time I replaced my front brakes, I replaced both the pads and the rotors and used Wagner Thermoquiet pads.

However, after completing the task, the brakes always had a light squeal to them -- I assumed it would go away, but never did. I tried taking them off again, looking at them, re-installing them, etc. Figured it must have been something I did wrong, or it was the parts, so I lived with it. Someone mentioned that they always washed/scrubbed the rotors before putting them on, which I hadn't heard of.

It's time to replace these again --- what tips do you guys have for avoiding this when I replace them this weekend?

Thanks!

New rotors need to be cleaned before installing as mentioned above.

Thermoquiet pads rarely make any noise.

Always include a Year, Make, Model, and Engine Size when you post an automotive questin. There may be something particular with your vehicle that we may be able to mention that would help solve the issue.

2007 Chevy Suburban.

FYI -- the squeal I mention was only heard when light to moderate pressure was applied. If I 'got on em'....no noise.

I thought the same of the pads --- I had asked here the last time which pads were recommended -- Airjer -- you liked the Thermoquiets. I had a feeling that the problem was something I must have done, but didn't know what.

How rigorous of a cleaning needs to be done?

Anything else to ensure that my new brakes/rotors will be squeal free?

Hit them with brake cleaner until all the residue is off. Sometimes they have a lighter oily counting that comes off pretty easy and other times they have a thicker more waxy type off coating that will require a little more work to get off. The rotor should look clean when you are done.

I have the bennefit of being able to turn them right before I put them on which will also remove any leftover residue.

I would have lived with the squeak for a month and then warranties them. But that time anything on the rotors should have burned off and you probably would have been fine.