• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak fishing...I'm sold

I have been considering getting a kayak but just never could bring myself to pull the trigger. Not sure if it was my bad back or my fondness of fast boats, but I did a trip last weekend and had a blast.Lots of nice smallies including some real pigs. Now I'm convinced, just gotta do some shopping now!

Smallie2.jpg

Glad to hear it Lunker! Do your research and try to sit in a couple before you pull the trigger. It's a lot of fun when you get your kayak rigged out specifically for the way you fish, it becomes a pretty efficient alternative for fishing! And my favorite part of fishing out of a kayak is you can get into some real sloppy areas, small lakes with poor or no accesses, and you can also get onto lakes with motor restrictions!

yep, definitley gonna get one designed for fishing, the one i'm using in the pic was my fishing buddie's wifes so i was just using it for the day. I'm sure it has been discussed to death, but any suggestions on a moderatley priced fishing kayak?

I'll toss in my vote for an Ocean Kayak Trident model. VERY nice boats, with a ton of storage. Incredibly stable and high modifiable. Not a lot of hole drilling needed. The top hatch is designed to have Scotty or Ram products put into it such as rod holders, camera stands, fish finders, etc.

They're at least worth looking into. I'd probably opt for the 13' model if it was me. Especially since I'd guess you'll be doing some backwater sloppin' since your in LaX

I'll toss in my vote for an Ocean Kayak Trident model. VERY nice boats, with a ton of storage. Incredibly stable and high modifiable. Not a lot of hole drilling needed. The top hatch is designed to have Scotty or Ram products put into it such as rod holders, camera stands, fish finders, etc.

I would put a 2nd vote in for the OK Trident. I have the Trident 11 and it's great. I opted for the 11 because of weight and awkwardness (I always fish alone with my kayak and have to sometimes load it up on my car roof top). It's great. You can do a lot of customization to it. Here's a short video showing mine after a few mods - it might give you a few ideas.

Im new here and I thought I could chime in here. Been kayak fishing for 2 years now. Its the best. I mostly fish on Lotus, Mitchell, Nokomis, and Bush Lake. This year its been Lotus and Nokomis mostly. A few trips to Blue Lake in Zimmerman as well.

I typically take two rods. Added my own rod holder to the kayak and that is nice. I typically just take one or two small tackle boxes with 6 or so lures, lip gripper, and pliers.

Here are some pics!

IMG_20120830_180811.jpg

IMG_20120830_183129.jpg

IMG00838-20120818-1831-1.jpg

IMG00836-20120818-1702-1.jpg

IMG00565-20120526-1717-1.jpg

IMG00532-20120525-1936.jpg

IMG00468-20120512-0820.jpg

IMG00512-20120514-1748.jpg

IMG_20110704_181247.jpg

DSCF1642.jpg

Glad to hear and welcome to the addiction! Couple of big questions to ask first:

What kind of fishing/types of water do you do?

What's your price range?

And what are you putting it on?

Also keep in mind that the purchase is a lot more than the yak itself. You'll want to spend at least $120 on a paddle that's the correct size. Everybody forgets that, myself included. You won't appreciate that until you're stuck with a $60 paddle that hits the sides, is heavy, and has no power to speak of.

Also take into account the roof rack or trailering.

If you're looking for suggestions, I too have an OK Trident 13, as well as an Emotion Stealth. Both SOT. Love both, but I'd only buy one again and that's the OK Trident. It just provides so much more versatility. I do tons of local lake fishing, and yet there are days (like today) where I need to hit Lake Superior with my gf and that's the yak I'm comfortable in on that lake. I can stand in it, it fits humminbird units, and it packs a heck of a lot of storage while being only about 60 lbs.

Granted the bias is pretty intense so demo a couple, but you really can't go wrong with it if it's in your price range. Either that or one of the prowler 13's (fewer bells and whistles) and set it up just the way you like it.

Here's a few pics from this weekend.

full-38962-24026-paddling.jpg

full-38962-24024-img_1889.jpg

full-38962-24025-img_1891.jpg

full-38962-24027-img_1892.jpg

I can also post pics of that stealth, but it sound like you're pretty set on getting a yak so I'd suggest something 12' or better. Those OK Tetra's look pretty sick as well. Might pick one of those up for co-paddlers.

Another brand to consider that doesn't get a lot of attention from most people yet is Jackson's brand. Specifically the Cuda model. From everything I've seen and read about this kayak, and the company, it sounds like it will be top notch. I haven't yet seen one for myself, but it might be worth a paddle if there is a dealer in the area.

I will insert one item that might be of interest. We have been to California in the winter, near San Diego. There are a fair number of guys fishing from kayaks there, catching big fish, like 30 lb yellowtail. The all use the sit on kayaks rather than the sit in type. The tour operators all run sit ons as well.

My daughter got a sit in. I really had a hard time getting out of it without basically rolling out into the water.

Definitely go with a SOT for fishing. Consider a Perception Sport Pescador 12. It's one of the best moderately priced SOTs on the market. I'm 6'3" 225lbs and I love mine. Light and easy to load on the car, fast and stable in the water. Tracks really well even though it has no rudder. Which ever one you decide on though, have a great time.

Definitely go with a SOT for fishing. Consider a Perception Sport Pescador 12. It's one of the best moderately priced SOTs on the market. I'm 6'3" 225lbs and I love mine. Light and easy to load on the car, fast and stable in the water. Tracks really well even though it has no rudder. Which ever one you decide on though, have a great time.

I know nothing about Kayaks but I remembered this post when I saw today on a popular slick deal site that the Pescador 12 is on sale for 484 bucks (and free shipping) on amazon. Not a bad price for a supposedly decent kayak (they say it's a re-branded wilderness system tarpon 120 which is apparently a good model but again I have no idea).